PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failure to think

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to think

Deleted.

What is the mistake here? Was it the fold? Or was it the initial bet/raise that gets one into these predicaments? If you have made a mistake and realized after your bet should you continue to throw good chips after bad?

At some point in a tournament you MUST be willing to follow through for all of your chips whenever you have entered a pot. When the money is shallow ask your self this question:

Is this a situation where I am willing to bust out?

Note the use of "situation" as opposed to "cards". Everything must be considered, your position and current image, opponents tendacies and image, relative stacks, and your individual goal for this event.

Comment

Where has PSO "taught" people to make incorrect decisions, like this? I haven't seen that. I do believe there are some people who don't realize this basic concept, and perhaps are not taking advantage of the posts in the forum, that have pointed these obvious situations out, but I've never seen anything from PSO teaching anyone to save their last chip in that kind of situation.

8O
      'Goddess

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Folding a huge pot for your last $25 is either:
          1. very very stupid
          2. collusion
          3. very very stupid
          4. there is no 4th option

But we've all seen it (or similar) more than a few times.
          I go for stupid, but what can you do? Is it much more stupid than calling a huge NLHE preflop bet with A3o? And that happens all the time.
          It's OK calling this "School", but real School requires tests, grades, progression etc etc. PSO is superb, but it ain't "School" until there's some structure.
          Meanwhile, crazy stuff happens all the time. So be it.
          Let's play.
          If Mark wants to introduce grading, examinations, re-sitting years of study and so on that would also be good, but don't hold your breath.
          Just play. That's all there is.

cheers

Glenn

Comment

sorry, i made all those plays, i must confess. but i am still learning! :wink:

Comment

:twisted:

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

ops:

Comment

Re: Failure to think

Originally posted by thehazyone
                    This, in my opinion, is terrible play
                    Well, it isn't in my opinion. It is fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokergoddess
                      Where has PSO "taught" people to make incorrect decisions, like this?
                      Where has it taught them not to?

Comment

Re: Failure to think

Hand #1 - MP player limps, three callers on an unraised pot. Flop comes 37T two clubs. Blinds check, MP player bets pot (this is PLHE), BB is only caller. Turn is the 2 of clubs. BB checks, MP bets pot, BB raises all in for $25 more - MP player folds.
                        Even if there is only $2500 in the pot MP is getting 100:1 pot odds. Even 7-2o and 3-2o are playable for those odds.

Hand #2 - Short stack in PLHE tourney raises UTG pot size for a total of 3500, leaving them with around 2200 with the 500/1000 blinds coming up. LP player raises all in. UTG raiser folds.
                        Pot adds are about 4.5:1. Any hand a UTG could raise with, even a loose player, is worth the call. A stone cold bluff when your stack is only 5 big blinds is poker suicide.

Hand #3 - Short stack has 3025 left in PLHE tourney with 1000/2000 blinds. Short stack folds to raises in both BB and SB leaving themself with $25.
                        The short stack was getting 5:1 odds in each situation. The best time for them to move in was UTG. They must get lucky and UTG gives them the highest payback.

I know Apryll also shared with me a hand where someone folded for $50 with 50,000 in the middle.
                        Someone passed up 10,000:1 odds. :roll: They probably bought a million-to-one lottery ticket with the $50. :lol:

Comment

I will confess to being the player in situation #3 And here is the situation from my perspective.

Yes i did have $3025 in chips on the BB for 2k my cards were 83 off
                          i folded to a raise leaving me with $1025

On my SB my cards were 3 6 off the pot was raised and i folded leaving me with $25.

My thinking was this: at that point there were 5 players remaining in the tournament that started with 33. The money paid the top 4 players. I had at this point after my AKs lost to 66 given up on the chance to win once i saw my BB cards. I folded the SB because i knew i would have $25 there were no antes so my hope was that in the coming hands before my BB would take out my $25 someone else would get knocked out thus putting me into 4th place and in the money. The strategy didn't work i still finished 5th. In summary i knew my cards in the BB & SB were no good and left $25 to try and last till someone got knocked out putting me in the money since there were no antes.

Thief 21

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Thanks for the advice hazy i see your point, i think that sometimes i play a little weak when near the bubble and that hand was a good example of it. I thank you for spending the time to try and help me.

Thief 21

Comment

Working...
                              X