PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omaholics PLO8 hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omaholics PLO8 hand

Very early in PLO8 $2500 starting chips tourney. I have $2700 and am in the SB and am dealt A224 ds (24spades and A2clubs).

Flop is 239, 93 is spades.

Blinds at $75/150 so $450 in pot preflop, $1200 after the first pot, my repot makes it a huge pot, well over $5000 and the calls push it over $7500. I think....

I have nut low draw, (the nut high for now as it turns out), a redraw to a non-nut flush, and a draw to a wheel.

I check. BB checks. MP player, the only other player in the hand, pots it. I repot it, putting myself all in. The BB calls. The MP calls.

This is not a bad beat story, but you know what happened... I lose to runner runner.

Was I too aggressive?
    No way can I fold due to the scoop potential of this hand, so the only question is: Once it was potted ahead of me, do I only call here?

A call is $600 of say $2550 of my stack.

Thx, RG

Hang on .. (make allowances for New year "spirit" here :wink: )
    Pre-flop, 1 limper, you completed the SB, so it's three-way for a 450 pot ? With only 1 limper I suppose it's fair enough to just call here. But ...

You didn't lead at the flop it seems, as you "re-potted" it ?

With nut low draw, set of 2's and a poor flush draw I'd say lead at it and maybe take it down before bad things happen on the turn (like a high :s: or a 9 that makes a bigger boat or some K or Q that makes a higher set) The turn can easily put you in the position where you are chasing for half or quarter of a pot. Check-raising with so many ways to lose in hi-lo doesn't look right. By then the others are probably committed to their A4 low draw plus nut flush draw/set of 9's etc.

My whisky-soaked opinion is that you weren't aggressive enough on the flop .

But it's a crazy ol' game. What they have ??

cheers <hic>

Glenn

Comment

Re: Omaholics PLO8 hand

Originally posted by rggator
      Very early in PLO8 $2500 starting chips tourney. I have $2700 and am in the SB and am dealt A224 ds (24spades and A2clubs).
      A case could be made for putting in a raise, though I'd often limp here too.

Originally posted by rrgator
      Flop is 239, 93 is spades.

Blinds at $75/150 so $450 in pot preflop, $1200 after the first pot, my repot makes it a huge pot, well over $5000 and the calls push it over $7500. I think....
      Here, I much prefer leading at the pot; if you're facing a hand such as A-4 of spades, your opponents will let you know soon enough in many cases. The way it played out, you were pot-stuck from the moment you check-raised. If you face a pot-sized reraise after leading with bottom set, nut low draw, as you likely would have here, given the way the play actually went, you can get away from it
      relatively cheaply.

Alan

Comment

You can't go for a check-raise here with such a vulnerable hand. You have bottom set with draws at a non-nut straight and a non-nut flush, as well as a nut low draw that may well be in someone else's hand as well. Given the betting, you cannot rule out 33 as a possibility -- even 99 is possible, since everyone limped preflop.

I would pot it on the flop straightaway, and see what develops. If it gets raised and reraised back to you, then you can think about folding without much damage. I wouldn't really want to commit myself to this hand on this flop.

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X