PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy New Year

Hi. First, I want to wish all of you who have spent time here in my tiny corner of the internet a very happy New Year.

Lessoon 6 - Part I is now posted. It deals with maniacs. I hope in part it explains why experts disagree so often when asked where to sit or how to play in a maniac game. In reality, there are several flavors of maniac, and I have attempted to clear that up a bit. Of course, experts will continue to disagree about almost everything anyway, but maybe this piece will at least add context to their arguements.

Here is a New Year resolution I would like to see you make:

I will try to think poker logic, and not look for rules and tables. I will try to figure out why I should be making plays, so I can react to situations as they arise.
    I will be in Tunica on 1/11 for the pokerschool seminar. I have been working on my presentation, and I hope you enjoy it. I am looking forward to meeting with many of you. If you see me around the area the day before or after, please stop and say hi.

Have a wonderful, healthy, happy and winning 2003!

BarryT

a happy and prosperous new year to you too!!!!!!! i am looking forward to meeting you in tunica, have a safe trip!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Barry

Great articles! Will you be doing any on post flop play? I only ask as there seems to be a hell of a lot on starting standards at PSO (of which yours are my favourite) but not a lot on post-flop play (if i'm wrong please someone point me in the right direction).

It often occurs to me that through a professionals career they accumulate such a vast knowledge of particular situations and subtle differences between them. Perhaps you could share with us some hands that you've played in, what was going through your mind (e.g. why you thought someone was on a draw instead of say top pair), and other hands which were slightly different. I would find this very helpful.

Thanks

Comment

Happy New Year B.T. Looking forward to meeting you in tunica!

torax

Comment

Post Flop Play

Originally posted by dastardly
          Hi Barry

Great articles! Will you be doing any on post flop play? I only ask as there seems to be a @#%% of a lot on starting standards at PSO (of which yours are my favourite) but not a lot on post-flop play (if i'm wrong please someone point me in the right direction).

It often occurs to me that through a professionals career they accumulate such a vast knowledge of particular situations and subtle differences between them. Perhaps you could share with us some hands that you've played in, what was going through your mind (e.g. why you thought someone was on a draw instead of say top pair), and other hands which were slightly different. I would find this very helpful.

Thanks
          Hi, Das: Thanks. I appreciate your kind remarks. Actually, I plan to spend almost all of my time on post flop play. I am trying hard to get past the pre-flop stuff. I thought I ought to start there so people could get to understnd me and my approach. But post flop play is where the money is, and that is what I hope to emphasize.

Stay tuned. After the next lesson or two, we will focus on post flop play. If anyone has specific topics on post flop play they want covered, either post them here or write to me (barryt@pokerpages.com).

Also, my next article for PokerPages (after part II of Where Does the 1 BB/HR Come From) will be a fascinating (to me, anyway) look "Inside the expert mind" in which I look at a hand from the perspective of a truely gifted player (not me!) and share his thoughts. Look for it in late February

Thanks.

Barry

Comment

Working...
          X