PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn my Ace high into bluff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn my Ace high into bluff

It is $5.50 Super Stack tournament on FTP with 12min slow blind level and 5000 starting stack. I turned my Ace high into a bluff on the turn. Should I have check-call turn and then check-call river? On river I bet coz I thought he will call with his junk hand thinking board is the best hand with King high so he might call with whatever he had for a chop. But I will win it with Ace high. What's the best play for this hand? Full Tilt Poker Game #34751815796: Super Stack $1K Guarantee (276965556), Table 4 - NL Hold'em - 10/20 - 13:42:46 IST - 2014/10/01 [04:12:46 ET - 2014/10/01] Seat 1: Estrike4 (3,900) Seat 2: TOSCHI666 (4,780) Seat 3: MMeleon (5,990) Seat 4: adikumar2010 (5,620) Seat 5: zamaohouiii (5,000) Seat 6: pigro78 (4,880) Seat 7: David de Cker (4,610) Seat 8: divaca1984 (5,480) Seat 9: SDSM (5,060) adikumar2010 posts the small blind of 10 zamaohouiii posts the big blind of 20 The button is in seat #3 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to adikumar2010 [ ] pigro78 folds David de Cker folds divaca1984 folds SDSM folds Estrike4 raises to 60 TOSCHI666 has 15 seconds left to act TOSCHI666 calls 60 MMeleon folds adikumar2010 calls 50 zamaohouiii has 15 seconds left to act zamaohouiii folds *** FLOP *** [ ] (Total Pot: 200, 3 Players) adikumar2010 checks Estrike4 checks TOSCHI666 checks *** TURN *** [ ] [] (Total Pot: 200, 3 Players) adikumar2010 bets 100 Estrike4 folds TOSCHI666 calls 100 *** RIVER *** [ ] [] (Total Pot: 400, 2 Players) adikumar2010 bets 200 TOSCHI666 has 15 seconds left to act TOSCHI666 has requested TIME TOSCHI666 raises to 740 adikumar2010 has 15 seconds left to act adikumar2010 has requested TIME adikumar2010 folds Uncalled bet of 540 returned to TOSCHI666 TOSCHI666 mucks TOSCHI666 wins the pot (800) *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 800 | Rake 0 Board: [ ] Seat 1: Estrike4 folded on the Turn Seat 2: TOSCHI666 collected (800), mucked Seat 3: MMeleon (button) didn't bet (folded) Seat 4: adikumar2010 (small blind) folded on the River Seat 5: zamaohouiii (big blind) folded before the Flop Seat 6: pigro78 didn't bet (folded) Seat 7: David de Cker didn't bet (folded) Seat 8: divaca1984 didn't bet (folded) Seat 9: SDSM didn't bet (folded) STATS :
    Bracelet Winner

Hi adi,

First it's important to remember what bluffing means... betting (or raising) because you think better hands will fold to your action.

So it seems that your thought process in this hand is a bit off. No better hand is going to fold to your turn bet. That doesn't mean a turn bet is wrong necessarily, but the primary reason behind it should be to get value from worse hands (primarily other ace high hands that tie us now but where we can win on the river by pairing the 8 or making our flush). The secondary reason is to protect your equity (against hands like QJ, which will fold to the turn bet but could have benefited from a free river by possibly drawing out on you). On balance a turn bet is somewhat thin imo... we are still losing to pocket pairs and bigger aces, plus anyone who flopped trips or better and is slow playing the flop.

On the river, your thought process seems to conflict with your turn reasoning... it seems like maybe you're treating each street independently, and not correlating your play across all streets. On the turn you thought perhaps better hands than yours would fold, but on the river you think worse hands will call, so it's kind of like saying better aces and pocket pairs might fold the turn but Q high and worse will call the turn and now pay off the river playing the K high on board. It doesn't make sense when you put the two together.

I would probably check/call the turn rather than bet, and either way the river is a check/fold imo. No one is calling your river bet playing the board after you bet turn and river, you are pretty sure to only get called by hands that tie or beat you when you bet here.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!
    Head Live Trainer
    Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.