PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Shove range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Shove range

I have a general question, suppose we have 20-40 BB and antes is in play. It folds to us on the SB and the BB player has only 10-15BB, what is our total shove range there?

For example: Q4s does it fit in the range?

I was thinking we can shove 50% hands there.

Range: 22+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J6s+,T6s+,96s+,86s+,76s,A2o+,K2 o+,Q8o+,J8o+,T8o+,98o

Correct me please
    Bracelet Winner

For me, it's almost 100% opp dependent as my range will be totally different depending on whether the opp is tight or loose. Tourney type will also come into play too.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Let's assume it's the first hand we are playing with him or we have no reads on him totally unknown player.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Then I'd need to know tourney type, structure, etc.

There is no one size fits all answer.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Slow game 10 or 12mins blind level, deep 5000 starting stack and almost in middle stages like 3 hours (not ITM) into the game. So blind & antes are huge. Also average stack is 35BB.

I think this is the most common scenario for any tournament player who plays normal or slow structure games as Avg. stack is always 30-45BB all the time after 3hrs it doesn't matter if it started with 250BB after sometime the game will slow down and reach same 35BB avg. stack as other games. It's just that in slow games early on we have lot of poker to play.
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

3 hrs in... I should have a read.

John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Just got moved from a new table. Played only 2 hands prior and folded them both.
              Bracelet Winner

Comment

Pairs, broadways, suited connectors down thru 56s, suited 1 gaps down to 68s, connectors down thru 78, Ax, any 1 broadway card with the other card capable of making a straight.

For me, I avoid the big/little combinations and if I'm at 15BB, the worst end of this range is mucked.

John (JWK24)
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

This is about 31% hand range: 22+,A2s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T8s+,97s+,86s+,76s,65s,A2o +,KTo+,QTo+,JTo
                  Bracelet Winner

Comment

Depending on the opp, I could be anywhere from shoving 100% of hands down to about 15-20% of hands. It's totally dependent on the opp in the BB... and if I'm 3 hours into a tournament without reads, then I need to stop all the other things I'm doing and do my job as a player and observe how the others in the tourney are playing. Even if they're at another table, you can see if they're toward the top of the chip count list by playing loose, playing tight and have been shorter the whole tourney... there is a lot of information that I should have on the opp in 3 hours.

Just making a decision in a vacuum is a great way to lose chips.

John (JWK24)
                    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Playing poker just got tougher these days

Thanks Mr.John for taking your time to answer my queries.

On a good note I am on the FT on another game on FTP, hope I make some good ICM decision and don't shove as wide as I would in a normal game.
                      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks JWK, your help and ICM really helped me on FT. I didn't end up shoving loose.

Bracelet Winner

Comment

Nice job adi!

Comment

Great ship, Adikumar.

Comment

Originally posted by spand42 View Post
                              Nice job adi!
                              Originally posted by Nataraj1 View Post
                              Great ship, Adikumar.
                              Thanks it's a small ship but nevertheless ship is a ship. umbup:
                              Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.