PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NL Holdem - solid two pair gets killed by a flush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Holdem - solid two pair gets killed by a flush

Hi, If this has been submitted correctly I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether this hand has been played well. I was happy with my pre-flop bet. On the flop, I draw a solid two pair and with a modest bet by my opponent I assume I'm ahead. I then go all-in thinking there's good chance my opponent will fold and if they call there's a great chance I win a big pot. My opponent calls and gets their flop. So! Am I just unlucky? Or was it reckless to go all in with the hand I had? Your thoughts appreciated... Thanks, Phil

Hi Phil!

You're down to a 12BB stack, so ideally need a double-up sooner or later to put you at a more comfortable stack.

When facing a preflop min open, AQs is easily a strong enough hand to directly 3Bet all in preflop. When everyone folds, you've added about 20% to your stack for free and folded out everybody else's equity. When someone calls, you'll likely have very decent equity and a great chance to double up your stack.

As played, I think moving all in on the flop like you did is a fine play. You can get calls from plenty of worse hands e.g. other Ax, flush draws. This is exactly what happened and you just got unlucky that your opponent got there and you didn't redraw to your full house.

In fact your hand is so strong that you could also consider just calling the flop and allowing your opponent to continue bluffing on the turn, as the stacks are so short that you're guaranteed to get the money in at any time you want.

Comment

Thank you! So I certainly shouldn't have played more cautiously...

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.