PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough spot on turn against Loose Player !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough spot on turn against Loose Player !

It's Saturday Micro $3.30, 25k Gtd with 15mins blind level. I have 3 main questions, he is a Loose player: 1) Should I 3-Bet preflop ? 2) Should I check-raise him on flop or just flat and keep him barelling? 3) What do I do on turn if I choose to play passive in order to extract value from him? He bets weak on the flop, now as the Ace hit the turn he suddenly pots it. I think he might have or he is still bluffing with air. PokerStars Hand #116610837211: Tournament #907673367, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (30/60) - 2014/05/24 18:19:01 IST [2014/05/24 8:49:01 ET] Table '907673367 305' 9-max Seat #9 is the button Seat 1: PAPA_JOHNNY1 (3427 in chips) Seat 2: adikumar2010 (5498 in chips) Seat 3: hardcoresoul (3000 in chips) Seat 4: Lokis420 (4041 in chips) Seat 5: GalliGeo (4084 in chips) Seat 6: nort86 (7744 in chips) Seat 8: fishkalife2 (2306 in chips) Seat 9: 3DMINSK (11633 in chips) PAPA_JOHNNY1: posts small blind 30 adikumar2010: posts big blind 60 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to adikumar2010 [Qs Ks] hardcoresoul: folds Lokis420: raises 60 to 120 GalliGeo: folds nort86: folds fishkalife2: folds 3DMINSK: folds PAPA_JOHNNY1: folds adikumar2010: calls 60 *** FLOP *** [7c 5h Qd] adikumar2010: checks Lokis420: bets 135 adikumar2010: calls 135 *** TURN *** [7c 5h Qd] [Ac] adikumar2010: checks Lokis420: bets 540 adikumar2010: ?? STATS:
    Bracelet Winner

Hi adikumar2010! When playing out of the blinds and facing a raise, I either want to 3-bet or fold preflop. Calling and being out of position is a situation where I'm going to leak off a large number of chips over time. My decision on what to do with KQ is this. If I'm against a tight player, I'm just going to let it go and look for a better spot, but against a loose opp (like this one), I'm going to 3-bet to 360. When I flop a Q and two low cards, this is just about the best flop that I can hope for with KQ. I absolutely cannot check here. I'm going to make a standard 1/2 pot value bet since I'm up against only one opp (135 chips). The turn card here, and ace, is a great example of why I do not want to slowplay and do not want to fall into fancy play syndrome... which is what slowplaying is. I now, due to calling preflop and check/calling the flop... have absolutely no clue whether I'm ahead (need to value bet) or behind (need to fold). Playing passive does not extract value from the opp... it extracts value from ME, as I am giving the opp a +EV play. When the opp gets a +EV play, they will win chips from me on average each and every single time.. something that I need to avoid doing. Especially with a loose opp, they could have a weak A or better or worse, but by playing passively, I have to give them credit for it and need to fold... and may be folding the best hand and spewing off 255 chips. This hand is a great example of what fancy play syndrome does when out of position. I'm not extracting chips from the opp, I'm extracting them from me (by spewing them off by having no clue where I'm at in the hand). Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I didn't 3-bet preflop coz I wanted to keep his weak range in, as he might fold to my 3-bet when I have the best hand most of the time against him.

Reason for check-calling flop was to let him barrel with 78s 98s QJ QT 99 88, etc as he is a loose player who will for sure try to throw me off my hand when I show weakness. ("I am not sure if this counts in fancy play syndrome")

But not 3-betting preflop out of position was a mistake.

* I guess to play passively profitibaly in some situation and knowing where you are in the hand, is a tough art to master. Coz it needs great post flop hand reading ability.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by adikumar2010 View Post
        ("I am not sure if this counts in fancy play syndrome")
        You are absolutely correct, it is a great example of it.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks, I have been diagnosed as patient of Fancy Play Syndrome
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.