PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$.11 NL MTT, Top set on flop with against two villains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $.11 NL MTT, Top set on flop with against two villains

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.11 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (9 handed)

MP3 (t1,975)
    CO (t10,200)
    Hero (Button) (t5,920)
    SB (t5,510)
    BB (t5,060)
    UTG (t3,870)
    UTG+1 (t2,700)
    MP1 (t2,050)
    MP2 (t2,735)

Hero's M: 65.78

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, Q
    UTG calls t60, UTG+1 raises to t135, MP1 calls t135, 2 folds, CO calls t135, Hero raises to t825, 2 folds, UTG calls t765, 1 fold, MP1 calls t690, 1 fold

Flop: (t2,835) 4, Q, 7 (3 players)
    UTG checks, MP1 bets t1,225 (All-In),

With UTG still left to act do you raise all in or smooth call hoping to get him in the pot?

Supposing we smooth call:

We dont know much history with villain, so no special reads...

Pot is giving UTG villain around a 4.4:1 on his money.

What kind of hands is he calling with in this situation?

Since he open limped and then called the preflop raise, a small/mid pair seems likely to be in his range and could have made a set on the flop if we are lucky.

Pocket TT+ are unlikely given his preflop play.

Mid suited connectors are not likely, unless he made a loose call expecting more callers.

Two unsuited broadways

Two suited broadways for a flushdraw.

Am I missing anything else in my range evaluation and is my thought process correct?
    Last edited by Sle4zy_E; Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:38 PM.
    Bracelet Winner

Hi Sle4zy_E! With QQ, I get a limp, raise and 2 calls of the raise. I'm going to 3-bet here and size my bet at a pot-sized raise due to the number of players in the pot, so I will raise to 690. I don't want to overdo it on my raise, as players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I want to avoid. I flop top set on a board with a flush draw and multiple straight draws. I get a check and a small shove in front of me. I absolutely need to raise here because if I call and the opp that originally checked has a draw... they're getting the right odds to stay in and try to outdraw me as their pot equity will only be 18%. If I give them the right odds and lose the hand, it's my own fault that I lose it. With basically 4k in the pot and 5k in my stack.. I'm jamming over them. The opp left to act, that open-limps, should have some type of marginal hand (A/rag, small-mid pair, suited cards, connectors or broadways as the largest part of their range). Suited connectors are definitely in this opp's range. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for your input. I did consider he may be on a draw but got greedy and incorrectly decided to invite him to stay by just calling the all in.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

What I want to do in this type of situation is to basically make the smallest bet that will price the opp out. That way, I can try to keep the opp around, but to guarantee that the opp expects to lose chips to me by calling.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Makes total sense now
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.