PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MM Main Event - AKo UTG 4B shove OTT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM Main Event - AKo UTG 4B shove OTT

MicroMillions-098: Main Event I've been playing really nitty because I was crippled earlier and actually just double with a QTs shove fomr 15bb and got called by T9s. OTF: I decided to bet just over 1/2 pot, dry enough board but there are some hands in the villains range that hit this board fairly well. OTT: 8 of spades. I decide to fire again, I'll keep his draws, weak Kx in the pot. I bet really small here... maybe a mistake? 1/3 pot... maybe 1/2 would be better? Villain min raises me... I throw up a little SHOVE OVER HIS MIN RAISE STANDARD HERE? AT THE TIME OF THE HAND STATS HERO(52):12/12/6.0 Villain(52):21/12/0.8

Hi dirt eh! With AK from UTG, I'm going to make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper (4400). I flop TPTK and when the opp checks to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture and with one opp, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 7125. The turn now puts a flush draw out there and the opp checks again. Once again, I need to make a standard value bet of 1/2 pot.... HOWEVER.. due to the overbets pre and on the flop, this bet now is over 1/3 of my stack, which pot-commits me, so I'd need to shove the turn. If I had bet 4400, then 7125, a 1/2 pot bet here would not pot-commit me, so it would be much more believable and tell a consistent story throughout the hand. When playing a pot, I want all of my bets to tell a consistent story. Ones that don't are red-flags to observant players, that will then be able to use them as a tell, in order to narrow your range and know what cards you're playing. Here, the overbets say strength pre and on the flop, now an abnormally small bet says weakness... this is either a missed draw or 1 pair hand the overwhelming majority of the time. Where the opp went wrong is with their raise size. If the opp wants to raise (which I would in their shoes when the opp takes a non-consistent line that doesn't make sense)... they should shove the turn here, and not min-raise so that a 1 pair hand is then priced in to draw. If the opp shoves the turn, then the player with AK should not be calling with a 1 pair hand and would need to muck and lose a sizable pot, even though they didn't know it, but were ahead. As played, when the opp min-raises, I have to shove.. I'm already pot-committed.. but the problem with shoving now, instead of initially on the turn is that I took a +EV situation and turned it into a -EV situation due to it costing them less chips to call. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
    X