PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First hand $1 180 SNG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First hand $1 180 SNG

No reads since this is the first hand. I usually try play really tight the first few levels, is this call too loose for the beginning of a tournament?
    Bracelet Winner

I think the call pre is fine, as long as you don't get carried away post-flop since it is multiway.. or maybe even to further raising action preflop with the villains behind. With an A and a broadway and 2 tone flop, you need to play this flop hard n fast, which you do so umbup: I'd be making the raise on the flop a little smaller.. 550-600 would get the same response as 720. But by doing a smaller sizing it sets up the turn for a jam 2/3-3/4 of the pot, rather than 1/2 pot. Bet sizing may/may not have been trivial with this villain.. but vs regs or a thinking villain, this is more important.

Comment

Call pre, raise-flop, stack off with second nuts. All totally standatory.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

the only thing i can add is a lil analogy (i loves em)

bet sizing is a bit like positioning the cueball in snooker/pool - sometimes it's fine to smash it in and not worry, but other times you want to line up the cueball (pot size) ready for your next shot (turn shove)

i hope that makes sense XD

Comment

Hi joy7108

The guys have given some great input already. All that I can add to this is that you may want to raise smaller on the flop. When you raise as much as you did it sends out signal to the players behind us that we are not folding our hands no matter what happens.

Calling on the flop is an option too but I feel that there are a lot of turn cards that can scare either you or the original better away from the hand, so I think raising the flop is the best line to get the money in.

Cheers, Chris.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I don't remember why I re-raised so big, but it probably had a lot to do with 2 broadway hearts on the flop. I did feel pot committed even with a smaller re-raise, so wanted to get rid of the other two callers. I thought this sizing might discourage the original raiser as well, but it turns out I was wrong about that: Sick cooler, but that's poker! On to the next game.
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.