PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tight players don't win tournaments.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight players don't win tournaments.

Do you agree with this expression?

I'm typically more of a LAG player in cash games but I find myself tightening up in MTT's, there's often a lot of shorter stacks which gives me less room to play with, and I usually have less information on players aswell due to the larger player pool.

Should I loosen up more in tournament play?

Well for mtt part you should start tight,cause a lot of people will be shoving some silly cards,but after a while you NEED to loosen or blinds will eat your stack..

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I've won plenty of tourneys. Here are my numbers from PT4. 15 VPIP 11 PFR sample size is almost 200k hands.

Unlike cash, tourneys are just as much about chip preservation as they are about accumulating chips and due to this, playing TAG is what works.

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I'm super tight and have won my fair share MTTs.

I'm not trying to brag in any way, just wanted to add to what John said above, stack size awareness and making the right decisions will make winning tourneys a reality especially for us TAGS (or uberTag in my case).

It just works for me more often than not.

And winning big pots is sweet.

SL
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Im slowly evolving into a much tighter player mainly due to playing the open league, and have noticed that keeping this style in both mtts (where im running deeper) and stt ( where the *****rs play all in with any paint) and my results are improving. I always consider that in an mtt the chips i dont lose are just as valuable as the chips i win.

Comment

the thing is early on you need to be verry tight but after w while when the blinds get higher you have to take some spots so at the start you have to play TAG but the closer you get to the end game the more you can losen up your game at list in my oppinion.
            Triple Bracelet Winner

Comment

I have to laugh of the fact that everyone tells you to play TAG. Imagine if the responses in this thread represented a full 9-handed table in a MTT - would you play tight aswell? The common play is to be tight and it has shown to be profitable no doubt about that. But in my opinion you are playing to win not to min. cash, and in order to play a straight forward TAG game you'll either need to abuse your image or just get a million good hands, or hit every flop.

And why would you play LAG in cash as opposed to in MTTs? The deep stacked poker in cash games makes shorter stacks the bullies due to implied odds, and in MTTs a big stack is a bully since he can knock a player out - you seem to have confused where it's best to do what. If LAGs you play, you should play LAG in MTTs aswell, if you feel it suits you better to play TAG in MTTs, then play TAG. But there are so many people who plays TAG, and if you take notice of that you'll be able to abuse a lot. There are different type of TAGs weak and strong, you'll just have to go with your gut.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that people claim they play tight in the beginning, but I see a lot of those people trying to see cheap flops with SCs, suited aces etc, if that's the case(they limp behind), you can just squeeze them out, you can just cbet a lot of flops where they wont really continue and pick up a lot of blinds. And the people who says it's not important or at any point significant to pick up the blinds early, you guys seem to have forgotten how willing people are to play rags in the beginning and when shown agression they fold, there's a lot of profitable spots at the beginning of every tournament. Lets say the blinds are 20/40, you raise BTN with K9s, SB and BB calls and the pot is now 240. Flop comes A28r, they check you bet half pot and SB calls, the pot is now 480. Turn comes brick T, you bet again they fold, hello 280 chips do that three times and if you start with either 1500chips or 3000chips you'll have a nice start.

Just do whatever you feel is right. It's just interesting to see people always tell other people to play tight because if that's the tip everyone gives to each other then who will profit the most?

Comment

and what is the strategy against those pushing all-in at early stages of mtt, forcing you to fold pretty good hands?

Comment

Originally posted by SanNemo View Post
                  and what is the strategy against those pushing all-in at early stages of mtt, forcing you to fold pretty good hands?
                  Wait for a premium hand, then call.

John (JWK24)
                  Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                    Wait for a premium hand, then call.

John (JWK24)

or 27o...........

Cheers
                    Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Oh, Effsea - that's an interesting new look for you

My mom's so sad that the rumors about Rob Ford smoking crack turned out to be true ...

Comment

Originally posted by TrustySam View Post
                        Oh, Effsea - that's an interesting new look for you

My mom's so sad that the rumors about Rob Ford smoking crack turned out to be true ...

ya....a train wreck for sure....but l feel the new pic is fitting

Cheers
                        Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by effsea View Post
                          but l feel the new pic is fitting
                          ummm...you deserve a more fitting pic than that IMO (and I do "get it" - who,where,what etc). but that's just me. Maybe as a tribute to all the years you've put in, we should have a PSO members' "ideas" thread/poll, and you can set the number of entrants, closing date etc.......... and choose the winner or choose to keep the present one. umbup:
                          Last edited by slettuce; Sat Feb 01, 2014, 11:19 AM. Reason: sry...... "hic" ™- effsea ✈
                          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by effsea View Post
                            ya....a train wreck for sure....but l feel the new pic is fitting

Cheers
                            Tight players do win tourneys - just a small percentage of them...

And as for effsea - I used to smile every time I saw your old avatar - now I kind of wince.

Is that what you are going for??

Hiccup

Ed
                            4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by slettuce View Post
                              I'm super tight and have won my fair share MTTs.

SL
                              Your fair share of MTTs???

Do U mean ur 1st place finishes in these sngs?

1. $1.00 90 man sng 06 Sep 13
                              2. $0.50 90 man sng 14 Aug 13
                              3. $0.10 360 man sng 13 Aug 13
                              4. $0.50 45 man sng 13 Aug 13

* Perhaps U should consider joinin the PSO HG 2014 and participating in the monthly series so that all of PSO can see ur prowess
                              Last edited by EasyChips4U; Sat Feb 01, 2014, 01:53 PM. Reason: Add-on
                              5 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.