PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$0.50 NL Hold'em [45 Players, Turbo](100/200) A5s (12BB stack) HJ shove

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $0.50 NL Hold'em [45 Players, Turbo](100/200) A5s (12BB stack) HJ shove

Hello, everyone! This is my first hand post. I hope the easy one. Was not sure about this so I need HA help. Had no HUD stats or smth. Was a little bit schocked cause villain has a gold status. Whatever. So my question is simple...Its bad to make a shove like this when you have 12BB in a turbo tourney? Thanks!
    Last edited by MyNumber7; Fri Jan 17, 2014, 02:08 AM.

This hand is an interesting spot, typical of the types of situation you will often come across as the blinds start to increase.

Your M number (Your stack/blinds + antes) is 5, so you need to be looking for spots to steal the blinds and antes and should be just moving all in or folding.

If V4 hadn't limped, I think deciding whether to move all in or not is pretty borderline. Because your cards are suited, I think moving all in is the correct play. If you had A5o I would fold. FWIW A5s is a better hand to shove than A6s because of the straight draws that A5s gives.

With the extra dead money that the limper provides, I think it turns the A5s into a definitely +EV shove, so well played.

V4's play is pretty terrible and goes to show that you shouldn't pay too much attention to the stars when you see a Goldstar or even a Supernova at the tables!

Comment

Thanks, Spand!

I like these points about A6s and A5of. I will keep it in my brainz!

Originally posted by spand42 View Post
      Your M number (Your stack/blinds + antes) is 5, so you need to be looking for spots to steal the blinds and antes and should be just moving all in or folding.
      I read that it means how many orbits player can survive on the table without playing. I am not sure is that true.. Which M number is safe and when I should warn myself and change playing gears? Which is better to use, M number or simple BB count?

Thanks one more time!
      Mindaugas (MyNumber7)

Comment

I prefer to use M number (also called CSI) over BBs because they take the antes into account.

Dan Harrington invented the concept - there's a wikipedia article that describes his concept in more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-ratio

Lee Nelson in "Kill Everyone" has a slightly different take on M-numbers (he calls it CSI)

17+ - Normal cash game poker
        12-17 - Start to turn up your aggression. Stop any limping strategies you have.
        7-12 - Be very aggressive - you need a VERY good reason to call preflop
        2-7 - Shove/fold stage
        Below 2 - Chip and a chair!

Comment

Thats cool

12-17 - Start to turn up your aggression. Stop any limping strategies you have.
          Actually I dont like limping and I never limp except when I am BB or SB possitions, but its still useful to know.

Thanks, Spand!

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.