PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on my river play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on my river play

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...295_BEC7B0A8A8

Not much I can say about the hand that needs saying really!
    The reason I post it here is I want to know what people would do on the river in that spot ? Is my check ok?

Craziest bad beat for him you've ever seen?

You check called Quads.

Leading out you will not be called by worse or any remote bluff catcher. You are not bluffing and filling up on the turn helps, so your turn call is unavoidable for villain. River is fine as a bet has no purpose.

Ok I'm a nit, calling pre?
    Last edited by ForrestFive; Tue Dec 31, 2013, 04:29 AM.

Comment

oh ... what an ending!!

Comment

Originally posted by herbalerv View Post
        http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...295_BEC7B0A8A8

Not much I can say about the hand that needs saying really!
        The reason I post it here is I want to know what people would do on the river in that spot ? Is my check ok?

Craziest bad beat for him you've ever seen?

Hi Herbalerv,

yes, that one has got to hurt!

I like the check there, it gives him room to make a mistake..

regards,

Comment

I take a different line (fold pre, but if I call, I check-raise turn, shove river) but your line is fine for inducing value-bets from worse boats, and also some ace high bluffs.

If you'd said "I saw a flop with J5s and won with quads over quads", I'd never believe it!
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Not much to analyse when no reads are presented.

Would someone move to Brags please.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
              I take a different line (fold pre, but if I call, I check-raise turn, shove river) but your line is fine for inducing value-bets from worse boats, and also some ace high bluffs.
              I came to the same conclusions as Arty here, except for the fold pre-flop. Four-handed with stacks around 125bb and 7:1 pot odds on the call pre-flop, I think it is hard not to call and see a flop here (expecting to let it go most of the time, of course). I think you have less than a 1 in 8 chance to win pre-flop, but I also think the implied odds are there to make a big score if you do hit something (with this hand being the best-case scenario!) This depends a lot on how comfortable you are with your post-flop play, though.
              Bracelet Winner

Comment

pretty comfortable post flop, I don't have reads or use HUD I've tried but don't understand them and find them distracting. All I mean is would you check call turn and check river like I did, is there any value check raising turn or simply leading out river?

Obviously the villain was a bit of a pay off wizard on the river

Comment

Hi herb,

Villain was not a pay off wizard on the river at all, since he was the one who bet.

I would actually lead turn, we rate to have the best hand (save for quad 2's) and it will look the most like a possible steal since players will expect us to check a 5 here... it looks like we picked up a flush draw or are making a move, and if someone has the 2 we may get raised. We'll get called by overpairs for sure leading, while if we check/raise they may check back the turn, or bet/fold.

I actually think your river check is good... The way player 1 plays his hand, it looks like he's got the case 5 on the turn action. Obviously when the river comes, we know that's not the case, so scrolling back then, what did he take this turn action with? Possibilities:

-Turned flush draw
                  -Wild bluff
                  -Quad 2's

If we bet the river, he folds the former, but if we check, we give him a chance to try and pick up the pot with a bluff. If he holds a bust and thinks our action indicates a counterfeited 2, he may feel like his bluff is a freeroll since he'd chop if we called with a hand like A2 anyway.

Incidentally, shoving river wouldn't be bad either... with a full house on board players will talk themselves into a call thinking you busted a flush draw or had a 2 counterfeited and are making a move. But it raises more suspicion about the case 5 than checking does, that's for sure.
                  Last edited by TheLangolier; Tue Dec 31, 2013, 07:36 AM.
                  Head Live Trainer
                  Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Nice thoughts on lines on the turn, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.