PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AJo calling a shove from a shortstack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJo calling a shove from a shortstack

Hello, folks! I was playing a Freeroll today and this was an interesting spot that I found myself in with a very aggressive villain. He'd shoved twice on the flop, never got to SD, so I couldn't tell what he had, but then he shoved on me pre-flop this time, and I had more than enough chips to cover him (about 20% of my stack), so I ended up calling. I know from the videos I've watched that stack sizes when you're deciding whether or not to call a shove from a shortstack and that bigger stacks can afford to make looser calls when they don't have to commit too much of their stacks trying to bust a player out. I was wondering, what do you think of the call? Was I doing the right thing or was I out of line? Thanks!

To be honest I would not even play that hand.
    Last edited by Danutz75; Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:57 AM. Reason: cos i can't spell for toffee

Comment

I think I'd fold at both opportunities to do so. AJ isn't beating anything, unless this guy is really bad enough to ship 32bb vs UTG with something like ATs.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

I think that raising from UTG with AJo is a bit loose but I think an OK play if you're looking to be the big stack bully as no-one particularly wants to play a pot with you.

If you're going to raise, I would personally raise to 2.5x from early position at this stage of a tournament as it is cheaper for us to fold if one of the medium stacks shoves, but that's just my preference.

I think facing the shove is a clear fold. When people shove for such a big amount, it's nearly always with some medium pocket pair (say 66-JJ) and they don't want to see a flop. You've also got to bear in mind that he is shoving with a lot of people still to act and against an UTG raise.

I certainly don't think anything that AJ is beating anything that is making this play, you're flipping at best. Like Arty says, shoving 32BB with AT is really bad.

Comment

Seriously though, AJo just don't do it, there really is no need.

It will only end in tears.

Comment

Something we seemed to have all missed here is actually the flaw in the title.

32 x BB at this stage of a tourney is never a short stack.

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.