PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1.50 45 MAN, kk V TAG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1.50 45 MAN, kk V TAG

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=FC32FD1ED7

There was no other way to play this , it was just bad luck?

Two criticisms of the hand:

1) I would shove all-in with your stack size. The UTG raiser isn't going anywhere anyway. But this is a minor point.

2) Don't go all in if you know he's going to outflop you!

Seriously though, just chalk it up as what happens in poker and move on to the next tourney!

Comment

Hi holdemace486! With KK in the BB, UTG raises to 315. A standard 3-bet sizing would be to 3X their bet, but this is well over 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot-committed and cannot ever fold. Due to this, I need to 3-bet shove preflop. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Posting coolers doesn't achieve anything.

Agreed with the above posts above shoving pre though.

Comment

I would just shove straight off myself. The way you raised half yous stack and left half behind actually looks STRONGER than just shoving and is less likely to induce the call (or raise) that we're seeking.

Asides from that I'm with birdayy here,not sure what posting this hand accomplishes. We're NEVER folding pre-flop here,money went in ahead...what's to analyze (aside from shoving,given the stack sizes,being the better line than your raise was...)?

Comment

Posting coolers doesn't achieve anything, but actually you didn't play this well imo.

As others have said, the optimal play is probably just to shove with your stack size. Being aware of stack sizes is critical in tournament poker. Since you'd be expected to shove any playable hand with a 13 bb stack facing a 2.1x raise, shoving the top of your range is good. We'd like to get stack action with KK if possible, but villain has opened UTG so without reads, his position along indicates more strength than say, a button or cut off opener, so he's probably not folding to our shove.

Another alternative, if we think the villain is both wide and clueless, is to raise small to about 610 total, to induce bad calls and shoves. They have to be wide (so there's lots of hands they would fold to a shove, that they'll make a calling or shoving mistake with to the small 3b) and they have to be clueless (because anyone with a clue will realize this play on your stack size screams monster).

Raising to 900 looks stronger, and makes it clear we are not fooling around, so it prevents him from making any calling mistakes. He will still get in all his value opens (which we do crush all of except AA), but fold all his light opens denying us any value from those.

Shove >> small 3b > 3b of half our stack
            Head Live Trainer
            Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

^^^
              bad statement... he had kings... how would can u fold kings and also even if u knew his range was worse than yours how can u say he's going to outflop kk... he has 2 outs. theres nothing wrong with his raise

Comment

Originally posted by reckoner86 View Post

^^^
                bad statement... he had kings... how would can u fold kings and also even if u knew his range was worse than yours how can u say he's going to outflop kk... he has 2 outs. theres nothing wrong with his raise
                He was joking

Comment

I'm glad someone got the joke! They don't always come across very well in text form...

Comment

Working...
                  X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.