PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.50 NL SnG - Pair of aces with medium kicker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.50 NL SnG - Pair of aces with medium kicker

Folding here was the correct play, wasnt it? I think he had AQ or AK.

**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Maybe they had AA? Not many players reraise preflop with AK or AQ but as they do, you might expect them to reraise postflop too if they did it with Ax. If I check-raise the flop I would definitely call their shove, given your stack. I wouldn't be happy to do it with AJ just because it is often dominated by AK and AQ but I've seen that kind of aggression with many other aces too. So I wouldn't check-raise the flop. I'd hope to keep the pot small by just calling their bets and we might even see a J on the turn or river.

Something that would be helpful to know about your opponent: did they often raise and 3-bet?

Comment

You had to fold PF, if you aren't ready to call his shove on the A high board. I wouldn't raise OTF I would call and look at action OTT. But fold PF would be better I think.

Comment

Hi JohnPryce,

I think your fold is good. After 3betting preflop I don't think there are a ton of suited hearts in his range. Which means his shove must be a hand with good equity. Most likely I would guess AK maybe AQ.

Again his bet sizing on flop is very small. For two reasons.
          Either he has a strong hand and wants action which means AJ is beat.
          Or he is scared of the Ace in which case he will fold to the check raise.

After looking at a few different scenarios I think we get in too many difficult spots post flop. So this is probably a fold preflop.

AJs out of position vs a generic player at $1.50 SnG level. 3Bets a generally stronger hands. I don't think there's a ton of value to call. We are getting a good price. But it just seems like it opens up a lot of difficult spots for us post flop.

If we continue in the hand we need a good read on what type of player we are facing so we know the best way to proceed in the hand, and how we plan to win the pot when we hit the flop and miss the flop.

cheers
          Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.