PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting hand

Hey guys,

I was bored tonight and watched a high stakes tourney and had the following hand witnessed :
    Blinds : 30/60
    9 ring table
    Preflop action :
    ---------------------
    Everybody folds to M2
    M2 raises 2BB (120)
    M3 folds
    CO folds
    Button calls 2BB (120)
    SB raises 8BB (480)
    BB folds
    M2 folds
    Button calls
    Pot : 1140
    --------------------
    Flop : 3s2s4d
    Action : SB raises 16BB > Button calls
    --------------------
    Turn : 2c (board 3s2s4d2c)
    Action : SB Shoves remaining 21BB (1300) > Button calls (leaving a stack of 3 BB behind)
    -------------------
    River : 5d (Board : 3s2s4d2c5d)
    Showdown :
    SB : AhJc
    Button : 8h8d
    SB makes the straight.

It is very interesting as one of them is a gold star and one a pokerstars team pro (which is which I won't tell) as I'd like to see people oppinions on this hand.

Cheers,
    Shoim o/
    Last edited by shoim; Sun Jul 28, 2013, 11:13 PM.

Hard to comment on seeing just one hand, but i'm going to assume this hand is played based on reads/history with each other.

Comment

Hi shoim,

I agree with EmotiveKiwi, just a single hand out of context is hard to evaluate. Reads on players especially in a hand like this are important.

This isn't a standard hand by any means but I think both lines are reasonable.

AJ is an ok hand to squeeze here. Calling with 88 might be a little risky but it does depend on reads I guess.

CBet on a low flop gets looked up by an over pair.

Then on a pretty blank turn the aggressor should 2-barrel a reasonable percentage of the time or they will just lose the pot either at showdown or folding to a bet by the button.

The overpair may know the situation the aggressor is in and feel 88 catches enough bluffs.

Reads really are important in this scenario. I think the only questionable thing might be calling the squeeze with 88. But with position, it's probably not too bad.

All that being said. The same strategy doesn't necessarily translate to microstakes. As players won't have the same ranges and tendencies. People won't 2nd barrel air as often. And the button won't be floating as often.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hey,

Thank you Kiwi and Andy. I woke up this morning still thinking on this hand, and your input helped me change my mind about what happened as I focused on the action post-flop last evening, but when I took a look again I think I can understand the actions of the SB and a bit of the reasoning, and spotted a mistake for the Button - that is going back to the pre-flop action when he simply flats that min raise from M2 - I think this action narrowed down the range on him from SB's perpective and that, ofc, based on reads and history. Assuming the Button is a tight passive player, then that flat would give SB enough reasons to agress - is this making sense ?

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.