PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MTT late game question?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MTT late game question?!

    Hey everyone,

    I recently finished an Open League Tournament in 285th place out of 10,000 entrants...given that it is within the top 3% of entrants, I am pretty pleased with this result although I have a question about the way I played the hand I got knocked out with.

    I'm on the button, short-stacked with 10k in chips
    Small Blind = 60k chips
    Big Blind = sitting out
    Everyone else folds, action is on me Pre-Flop with 2-2

    I decide because I am in position, I am going to raise all-in (seeing as I was short-stacked and needed to make a shove)
    Small Blind calls my all in with A-4o

    Flop: Blank-4-Blank
    Turn: 4
    River: Blank

    I would have normally neglected shoving Quacks in late position on the button and I'm wondering given my situation if it was the right move?
    Please provide some insight on this situation!
    Did I make the right move and draw unlucky?

  • #2
    Hi Courtland754!

    What were the blinds? I'm most likely going to shove here (could be a fold a small % of the time too), but knowing the blind amount would help, as these tourneys have a totally different strategy compared to a cash mtt.

    John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator



    6 Time Bracelet Winner


    Comment


    • #3
      Hello Courtland754,

      Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.



      We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

      John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator



      6 Time Bracelet Winner


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
        Hi Courtland754!

        What were the blinds? I'm most likely going to shove here (could be a fold a small % of the time too), but knowing the blind amount would help, as these tourneys have a totally different strategy compared to a cash mtt.

        John (JWK24)
        Thank you for the response John,

        Blinds were 600/1200 ante 120

        Comment


        • #5
          If the blinds were that low.. then I'm NOT shoving. I am going to make a standard raise to 2.5BB or 3000. I do not want my tourney life on the line in a league game unless I have either a premium made hand (QQ, KK or AA) or that I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

          I do NOT want to take chances in these games, as every spot that I gain is worth more and more league points and the end of the month leaderboard standings are the ONE and only GOAL in them.

          If I miss the flop or the opp 3-bets me, I'm mucking my 22 here.

          John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator



          6 Time Bracelet Winner


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
            If the blinds were that low.. then I'm NOT shoving. I am going to make a standard raise to 2.5BB or 3000. I do not want my tourney life on the line in a league game unless I have either a premium made hand (QQ, KK or AA) or that I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

            I do NOT want to take chances in these games, as every spot that I gain is worth more and more league points and the end of the month leaderboard standings are the ONE and only GOAL in them.

            If I miss the flop or the opp 3-bets me, I'm mucking my 22 here.

            John (JWK24)
            Thank you for your feedback John!
            I will take that into consideration next time I'm in a similar situation!

            Comment


            • #7
              Folded to hero on the button with 8BB with bonus feature that BB is sitting out, really surprised the advice is not ship it!
              I would never, ever be raising nearly a third of my stack with 22 and looking for a good flop - they don't happen much.
              I get that there are points on offer for surviving further, but the 2000+ chips we get when we shove and pick up blinds and antes or win versus the SB are going to help survive further too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Congrats on finishing in the top 3% - the open is a minefield.

                With ~8bb left, and you are well into very good positive points, it's shove or fold. No point raising if you are planning to fold to any pre-flop aggression or play fit or fold on the flop.

                Find a spot, preferably in position in an unopened pot, shove and pray.

                Otherwise, time bank to the max (maybe you'll get lucky and wake up with a premium) and squeeze out a few extra points while you blind out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Profess Awe View Post
                  Folded to hero on the button with 8BB with bonus feature that BB is sitting out, really surprised the advice is not ship it!
                  I would never, ever be raising nearly a third of my stack with 22 and looking for a good flop - they don't happen much.
                  I get that there are points on offer for surviving further, but the 2000+ chips we get when we shove and pick up blinds and antes or win versus the SB are going to help survive further too.
                  In a cash tourney, I'm snap-shoving.. but not in a league game.

                  John (JWK24)
                  Super-Moderator



                  6 Time Bracelet Winner


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Before reading all the replies, I would have shoved with ducks in the same situation too!
                    Good job on top 3%!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X

                    X Cookies Information

                    We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.