PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$0.25 NLHE - A8o all-in call - too loose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $0.25 NLHE - A8o all-in call - too loose?

I noticed that the villain had shoved the previous hand as well, picking up the big blind. Because of this, and the fact that he was very short-stacked, I thought that my A8o, which I would have folded in most cases, was ahead of his shoving range. Was this the right call, or was it too tight?
    Bracelet Winner

Hi Christxof! I've got A8o from the BB and the button shoves 5.5BB. Unless the opp has proven to be a total nit, I'm going to call here. At this point, the opp should be shoving just over 50% of hands and A8 has approximately 55% equity from pokerstove against this range. Also, even if I lose the hand, I'm still ahead of 5 opps and basically tied with another opp's stack.. so I'm still in good shape chip-wise for my table. I'd be calling here with any pair or any A. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

If he's a shove tard on button or Small Blind then I'm widening my range to include any K as well.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for the response guys.

The shover hadn't been playing much until he got the small blind, which was the hand before this. It still seemed like I was ahead though, and I'm glad it was correct.

One thing I'm not great at is ranging other people. Is there a training session or something similar to help me with that?
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Without a HUD then you just have to keep notes.

I've only recently started playing 45 man NL games after moving from Limit but I notice a certain style of reg that plays like a rock and then shoves every button or small blind. It's easy pickings as I'm usually ahead when I call.
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Christxof View Post
            One thing I'm not great at is ranging other people. Is there a training session or something similar to help me with that?
            Here are three of them: session 3 session 41 http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Example-Part-2 Hopefully these will help.umbup: John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Ovalman View Post
              Without a HUD then you just have to keep notes. I've only recently started playing 45 man NL games after moving from Limit but I notice a certain style of reg that plays like a rock and then shoves every button or small blind. It's easy pickings as I'm usually ahead when I call.
              They really need to start cloning those players. umbup:

Comment

Working...
              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.