PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matter what you do.....it's a bad beat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matter what you do.....it's a bad beat.

My Question is....what can a player do with a playable hand against a limper.

I am getting smashed on PokerStars lately. I'm not a bad player....but I am sick of wankers. Fair enough he flopped a set.

I'm in position with 1 limper (the guy behind me) I decide to raise nothing special....3 or 4 times the big blind. Everyone else folds and the guy behind me flat calls.

The flop misses me, but gives me a strong flush draw. The flop hit him and he checked it down.

The flop goes chk chk.

I make my flush for free. He bets, I re-raise. He shoves all in. I'm not laying a K high flush here.

I can beat any str (other than a str flush), I beat any 2 pair, I beat trips.

Then he calls me an idiot for calling?
    Last edited by Aus-Redda; Sun Sep 23, 2012, 12:36 PM.

Hi Aus-Redda! This isn't a bad beat because you were never at any point in time ahead in the hand. It is however a cooler. What I do when I'm playing against any number of limpers is that my preflop raise will be to 3BB+1BB for each limper. By raising it for each limper, it will deter them from calling the raise.... or build a much larger pot for my better hands. You played the flop correctly. With a flush draw, I'm checking behind to try to hit it. If I was the opp, I'd have been betting 1/2 the pot, both for value and to price out a straight or flush draw. The turn is where the cooler kicks in, as it does give KJ the flush, but the opp gets a full house from the same card. When the opp bets, I would raise to 3X their bet and if the shove, it'll depend on what the chip stacks are and how the opp has been playing as to whether or not I will call their shove. Most opps, I will call, but there are a few opp types (tight/passive for example) that I'm laying down 2nd flush here, as they will only be betting with a better hand (nut flush or full house). Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Good advice!

I thank you for your detailed reply. I can learn from this.
      Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.