PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reading an opponent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reading an opponent

Here is an interesting hand from last night's 6Max Flame tournament.
    Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner
    I felt that I had a very good read on this player. The flop bet was a bluff. He could have a gutshot or a small flush draw, or even a pair of threes as a backup plan, but most of his range was just air. It was an easy call.
    Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner
    The turn gave me a small pair that put me ahead of his possible 3s, but might have given him a straight. So I checked to him to induce a second bluff bet or a value bet if he hit the straight. The bet was what I expected for another bluff. The river was a blank unless he had 3s. Should I bet or should I check to him again? I decided that my image would likely mean he would quite possibly fold to a bet, but would try a third barrel with just air to fold out a missed flush draw. He very nicely obliged me. Good reads can be a huge advantage. Doug
    3 Time Bracelet Winner

Is it just me or is the villains turn bet awful? Betting about half pot, leaving himself not much behind, on a wet board when he actually picks up some showdown value. His play makes very little sense to me and I think you obviously thought the same and had a nice read on where you stood. Well played.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Comment

I agree with you Fadyen. If the villain bets the turn, it should be a shove... however.... no way am I calling a 3-bet pre with 6Ts.

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

This villain often bets with air, and often successfully bluffs opponents to take down the pot. He had seen me bet strong hands aggressively and fold to aggression in likely good bluff situations. Unfortunately for him, he did not realize, I had folded because I felt that I did not have a good enough read to be sure they were bluffing. Based on my play, he had every reason to expect to be able to run a successful bluff on a good board for bluffing.
        3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.