PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling a shove when low stacked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling a shove when low stacked

Playing $7-00 single table sit and go. five players left . Blinds 200/100 I have 1300 and short stack. Am in the big blind when SB (2800)shoves all in. He has a fairly tight range and I have 7/6 suited. I call with my reasoning being that with a CSI of just over 4 this is my best option. He turns over A/Q off suit and the board finishes with me having two pair. I got a fair bit of abuse for my play. Any thoughts?

According to my nash charts (which is what I often use in game when in doubt) 7 6 suited only becomes an unexploitable call around 5-6 big blinds deep. Also these do not account for your opponents range. If the guy was tight I guess this would tip it even more towards the fold, but I don't think it was a terrible play.
    Rob.

Comment

Hi tally49! To find out if I should call, I need to see if the pot equity is higher or lower than my hand equity. I put 67o vs AQo into pokerstove, I get 41.16% hand equity. With any player, though, the key is to put their entire range into it... for a tighter player I'll normally assign a top 10% hand. This gives my 67s a hand equity of 33.7%. To call, I need to put 1300 into a pot that will be 2600 (50%). Since the pot equity is higher than the hand equity, I'll muck 67s in this situation as I expect to lose 16.3% of my chips on average each and every time, and look for a hand where I have a +EV play, especially one where I'm the favorite in the hand. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
      Last edited by JWK24; Tue Jun 26, 2012, 09:03 PM. Reason: range info for equity
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.