PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BR Management Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BR Management Question

So I read about needing to have 20-40 buy ins for SNGs depending from where you read. Now...how does multitabling effect this? Eg. Ive got a $430br, and im 5 tabling 3.50 9man SNGs. what stage can i move up?

Chris

Hi Chris! Multitabling really wont' affect it. It just means that you're going to play them quicker. It's a personal preference for me, but I try to have a larger number of buy-ins for s&g's as I've seen some bad variance runs in them (not quite as bad as an mtt, but similar). I try to use 75-100 buy-in's for them. With your bankroll, you're well over 100 buy-in's, so the $3.50's fit well into good bankroll management. As to what your bankroll would be to move up, it depends on the level. Make sure that you're making a profit at the current games and have enough buy-ins for the next level that you want to play. Good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by skoolbuly View Post
      So I read about needing to have 20-40 buy ins for SNGs depending from where you read. Now...how does multitabling effect this? Eg. Ive got a $430br, and im 5 tabling 3.50 9man SNGs. what stage can i move up?

Chris
      Hi Skoolbully...

To my way of thinking, the decision to move up is a BR issue not just in terms of "do I have enough money to afford swings", but also a question of "can I adjust to a different player skill level before it costs me TOO MUCH".

If you check out the "Cowboy Challenge" section, you will see a somewhat "artificial" guage of SNG performance. The challenge essentially takes a SMALL theoretical part of a BR, and tests whether you can play 100 games on 25BI.

(Please note, I am NOT "slamming" the challenge by saying this, merely noting that without a reasonable explanation it really has no "sense" to testing a small part of a total BR on an individual game type.)

The IDEAL "use" of this challenge tho DOES exist...

The Cowboy Challenge is a GREAT way to "test" yourself against a higher level of competition. Consider...

A lot of people jump up in levels too fast, simply because they have reached some "magical" number of buy in's. Instead of doing that jump when you've hit 20 or 40 or 100BI (or whatever you are comfortable with), I suggest this:

Get your 40BI for your new level.
      STAY at your old one, the one you know you can beat, until you get an extra 10BI or so for the new level.

Take that 10BI to the NEW level, and test whether you can run off 50 games without going bust.
      This is quite like the cowboy Challenge that tests your ability to run 25BI across 100 games, only it takes a bit less time at your lower level to get 10.

If you "succeed" in your challenge, you are probably perfectly ready to move to the new level full time, with the BR amount needed to KEEP you there.

If you FAIL at your "challenge", then stay at your old level, study some more, get another 10BI to try a 2nd challenge...when you DO succeed at your personal "challenge", you will probably find that your experience with differently skilled players results in you STAYING at your new level longer, and much more profitably.

Hope it helps.

-JDean
      Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

The next level Im looking to move up to are 7$ sngs, so il take your advice and grind it up to $700 for a few weeks.

Comment

yeah good point. il bring it on board. thx

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.