PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing with the Best Hand...and Happy about it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing with the Best Hand...and Happy about it!

How many times have you gotten all in preflop with the best hand only to lose? Well, in my case, it happens nearly every tourney I play... and I'm happy about that! Here is why:

I play TAG poker. The few hands I play, I play aggressively. Getting all in with the best hand is proof that I have made the right evaluation of the situation. Whatever happens after all the decisions are made is less important.

If I get all in preflop holding AK vs the maniac chipleader holding Ax, 73% of the time I'm doubling up - Great! But, 27% of the time I'm getting stacked. Rather than ranting and going on tilt. Just say to yourself: "Right move, Wrong result" and move on to the next tourney.

I once lost 14 consecutive KK all in hands. Yes, I tilted lol. But then I looked at my stats and saw that I had nonetheless won with KK 84% of the time. I was actually ahead of the 82% probability!

My point being: If you want to have fun playing tourneys and are tight, then get used to losing with the better hand. Most of the tourneys that you don't take 1st in will end with a good starting hand not holding up. That is poker.

GL

Roland GTX

Great post Roland! You're absolutely correct.umbup: Players forget most of the time that the goal is to make the best decisions while in the hand and only look at the results. Also, most remember the losses, but not the good number of winning hands when they were ahead. Your way is the right way to go about it. Good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
      Great post Roland! You're absolutely correct.umbup: John (JWK24)
      Thanks! From the frustration here, I thought some members might need a reminder, and after a bad string of 3/45 turbos, I needed to remind myself as well Cheers Roland GTX

Comment

thanks Roland GTX, i just come on here after some guy called my 4 bet allin on the flop with A high and hit the river now lost 5 in arow. reading your post is exactly what i needed to read at just the right time. I've had a good month up to now so i've kinda been expecting to hit a downswing. gotta take the rough with the smooth.. great post thanks again,umbup: bikerzaine

Comment

i post my bad beats etc as theropy lol,sat here all day on the forum rather than tilting away my br playing at the tables,
          great post well said

Comment

Originally posted by bikerzaine View Post
            thanks Roland GTX, i just come on here after some guy called my 4 bet allin on the flop with A high and hit the river now lost 5 in arow. reading your post is exactly what i needed to read at just the right time. I've had a good month up to now so i've kinda been expecting to hit a downswing. gotta take the rough with the smooth.. great post thanks again,umbup: bikerzaine
            I'm glad it helped you out! GL Roland GTX

Comment

Originally posted by holdemace486 View Post
              i post my bad beats etc as theropy lol,sat here all day on the forum rather than tilting away my br playing at the tables,
              great post well said
              I do the same on my other poker blog LOL!

I've been chasing you around the forum all day giving what is most likely bad advice while I was supposed to be working. Oh well, at least I have my priorities straight...

Roland GTX

Comment

Originally posted by Roland GTX View Post
                I do the same on my other poker blog LOL!

I've been chasing you around the forum all day giving what is most likely bad advice while I was supposed to be working. Oh well, at least I have my priorities straight...

Roland GTX
                ahahah lol and i do take all advice in from all players hopefully with different incite and then i can put 2 and 2 together and probably still come up with 3 lol.

Comment

Good post Roland

Comment

If you are getting it in ahead every single time, then odds are you will win eventually. They have to beat the odds to win against you and they can't do it every time.

Comment

Originally posted by IroncladMerc View Post
                      If you are getting it in ahead every single time, then odds are you will win eventually. They have to beat the odds to win against you and they can't do it every time.
                      Hi there! I get the gist of your point; however, let me just add a bit about probability to ensure we are all on the same page. Remember the classic coin example:

If you flip a normal coin, there is a 50% probability to flip heads and 50% probability that you will flip tails. We all agree on this point, but what if I told you that I had just flipped heads 10 times in a row. What is the probability now that I'll flip heads on my next flip? Well... It is still 50%. Past events do not affect the outome of flipping a coin. The coin has only two sides and an equal chance of landing on each regardless.

Now, what is the probability that I will flip heads on the next two consecutive flips? Here we need two things to happen. The first flip has a 50% probability of being heads. The second flip also has 50%. To determine the probability of both of the events happening we multiply the two indivitual probabilities together. Thus .50 x .50 = .25. So, the probability of flipping heads on two consecutive flips is 25%.

Make sure you don't confuse these two seperate scenarios!

GL and have fun at the tables

Roland GTX

Comment

Last edited by chuckkky; Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland GTX View Post
                          Hi there! I get the gist of your point; however, let me just add a bit about probability to ensure we are all on the same page. Remember the classic coin example:

If you flip a normal coin, there is a 50% probability to flip heads and 50% probability that you will flip tails. We all agree on this point, but what if I told you that I had just flipped heads 10 times in a row. What is the probability now that I'll flip heads on my next flip? Well... It is still 50%. Past events do not affect the outome of flipping a coin. The coin has only two sides and an equal chance of landing on each regardless.

Now, what is the probability that I will flip heads on the next two consecutive flips? Here we need two things to happen. The first flip has a 50% probability of being heads. The second flip also has 50%. To determine the probability of both of the events happening we multiply the two indivitual probabilities together. Thus .50 x .50 = .25. So, the probability of flipping heads on two consecutive flips is 25%.

Make sure you don't confuse these two seperate scenarios!

GL and have fun at the tables

Roland GTX
                          This looks like a post that was posted last year by me, explaining differences between odds, and probabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                            Great post Roland! You're absolutely correct.umbup: Players forget most of the time that the goal is to make the best decisions while in the hand and only look at the results. Also, most remember the losses, but not the good number of winning hands when they were ahead. Your way is the right way to go about it. Good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
                            JWK, how many times do you have to make right decisions, before you should expect results?? These players here are getting their asses handed to them on a plate. Results aren't important?? Is that why so many use OPR/sharkscope?? If decisions are more important than the outcome, why does PS send all their results to OPR/sharkscope??, why not send the right decisions to OPR, and have rankings based on decisions?? I'm sure the guy that cracked my Aces, and in turn cashed in the tourney doesn't care that I made the right decision, nor the players that are looking up my stats on OPR.
                            Last edited by Stakehorse75; Sat Feb 04, 2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Last edited by chuckkky; Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.