PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vary the raise size or always bet the same.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vary the raise size or always bet the same.

Hi all,

Currently reading Harrinton on hold 'em, and have a few questions

He recommends Raising more with QQ than KK in early position to chase away draws? I usally would bet the same 3x early on and 2.45x later on with any raising hand.

Q. which method do you use and why?

Also in the book he talks about calling 20% raise 80% with some hands (% vary depending on hand strenth and position and oppenents)

Does anyone do this? if so how do you decide your % I was giving consderation to having a 10 sided dice on my desk?

Thanks in advance

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

It may be poker views have changed a bit over the years of course, HoH is a few years old already. Remember it was written before the poker boom, and the current generation of young internet players play an aggressive style very different from when Dan wrote this. Or so I heard.

I can understand his reasoning - QQ is a lot more vulnerable to being outflopped than KK, so you would basically wanna raise preflop to that any Kx that's not KK or AK mucks it so you just have the aces to worry about. With KK, you already have only the aces to worry about.

For me, I generally start with a 3x open raise in early stages, in middle stages play 2.5x, and in late stages play , although I have been experimenting with 3x in late stages too, especially when I'm short. Not enough info yet to see how that works out for me.

Calling 20% and raise 80% with some hands is a bit vague for me, can't do much with that.

-----------------------------------------------------
    keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com
    The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
    Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Comment

HoH is 2004 has the poker world changed that much?
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I believe if you are going to vary your raise amounts, it should be predicated on table position, and opponet, not your cards. Any shrewd player will pick up on how much you are raising with one holding as opposed to another. Giving away too much info. As blinds get larger of course the customary raise is usually 2 1/ BB and then a min. raise deep in tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Grade b View Post
          Hi all,

Currently reading Harrinton on hold 'em, and have a few questions

He recommends Raising more with QQ than KK in early position to chase away draws? I usally would bet the same 3x early on and 2.45x later on with any raising hand.

Q. which method do you use and why?

Also in the book he talks about calling 20% raise 80% with some hands (% vary depending on hand strenth and position and oppenents)

Does anyone do this? if so how do you decide your % I was giving consderation to having a 10 sided dice on my desk?

Thanks in advance

Grade b
          Played a corral game with u once. Do u remember when u picked up on my 4xbets with AA KK QQ and 3xbet everything else? Since then i have stuck to the same 3xbet as people will not know what i am holding.
          Last edited by m.bisland; Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Not sure if you were referring to me bis, I assume so by your comment. Thats a solid adjustment IMO, nice going

Comment

ty but i was on about gradeb

Comment

Now you say it i do remember.....can you do the same next time i'm on your table

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Grade b View Post
                  Now you say it i do remember.....can you do the same next time i'm on your table

Grade b
                  No i wont but i will know when your not holding a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by m.bisland View Post
                    No i wont but i will know when your not holding a monster.
                    +1umbup: bet size changes is one of the tells that a number of players look for. I used to do it... not anymore. John (JWK24)
                    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by caia View Post
                      I believe if you are going to vary your raise amounts, it should be predicated on table position, and opponet, not your cards. Any shrewd player will pick up on how much you are raising with one holding as opposed to another. Giving away too much info. As blinds get larger of course the customary raise is usually 2 1/ BB and then a min. raise deep in tourney.

+1

Changing bet sizing in relation to position is a good way to go IMO. By holdings is terrible and a sure as Hell leak. Changing up to be opponent specific,with good,solid reads on a particular opponent,or opponents,can be a lethal tool if properly utilized.

Just be sure to watch out for opponents if they begin to adjust to what you're trying to do to them.

Comment

Thanks guys that's great. It is what i do i tend to raise 4X earlirer in structure in Ep 3 in and 2.5 x in late.

I still use the raise if first in but noticed in space gravys vids he adviced some limps (sett mining on the cheap mostly)

What does every one recommend?

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hey grade b!

setmining for me is somewhat determined by the table I'm at and the style everyone is playing. The more maniacs that there are at the table, the less I'll open-limp to try to do it.

John (JWK24)
                          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I`m a big fan of a standard raise, but I do vary size by position. I tend to raise more UTG simply because I play stronger hands in this position (although this is opp specific too). The never-ending answer is it depends, table dynamics play a large part in all these decisions. Great discussion!! umbup:umbup:
                            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi Joy,

that does make sence, could you give an example how the dynamic at a table would cause you to cahange bet size?

Thanks in anticipation

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.