PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't like AQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don't like AQ

    Hand 25, 20/27 left Mad4Mouse has 790 left, a good 26BBs. Which I think makes it a nice restealing stack. So I get the AQ off. in the CutOff. Folded to me so I open for a standard 3x. When doing this I know there's a chance he's gonna shove on me, and I had fully intended to call that shove. He could be shoving with a small pair, or a weaker ace. So I'm way ahead or racing. Unless of course he shows the AK. I have no doubt my open-bet was good, but what about the plan to call a potential shove? -------------------------------------------------------------- keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com
    The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
    Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight



  • #2
    Do you have a specific read on him that he likes to shove-resteal light? If not, I don't really see the point of calling a shove even if he has a small pair. We have 34BBs and can wait for a lot better spots to accumulate chips than a coin flip, or even a 60/40.

    Comment


    • #3
      even if i don't have a read on him. i will never call his shove.

      i have AQ in the CO. i got 3 opp left to act. one opp have almost the same stack as mine one opp is almost 40% of my stack and the last opp can bust me out.

      plan ahead. what's your plan if your plan is your going to call any reraise then you should be the one who is shoving in the first place.

      in this case you made the standard raise and this is the line i would take but if someone reraise me i fold instantly.

      Comment


      • #4
        I like the raise. But my plan if he shoves is to fold like the wind. You only have A high here and plenty of chips to find another spot.

        Grade b
        I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

        13 Time Bracelet Winner


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ov3rsight View Post
          Mad4Mouse has 790 left, a good 26BBs. Which I think makes it a nice restealing stack.
          I think that 26bb is not quite a resteal stack. ~0-12bb is a shove stack, and ~12-18bb is a resteal stack imo. So opening AQ with the intent to call a 26bb reshove is along the right line of thought, but I think it's a little on the -EV side, unless as someone said before me, the guy is 3betting a lot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Ov3rsight, thanks for posting to the Hand Analysis forum.

            This is an interesting spot. I like the call. You do say you raise fully expecting MadMouse to shove right? After all this really is his only move here out of position. Anyhow, do you have any idea of the range he's shoving here? Why do you expect him to shove? Did he just lose a really big pot?

            Let's look at some numbers. You need to call 640 to win 990. That's 1.55 to 1 odds, or you need about 40% equity. How tight does his range need to be for you to not be good here?

            Well, if he's pushing 10% [88+,A8s+,AQo+,K9s+,KQo,QTs+,JTs,T9s] you're at 45% wins (+5% chops), so it's gotta be significantly tighter than that.

            Against [TT+,AQ+] you're obviously in terrible shape. Like 26% equity.

            Against the donkey "I have a pair range" of [22+ AT+] you have 42% wins (+5% chops). Throw in the good broadways like KQs,KQo,QTs+,JTs and you jump to 46% wins (+ 4% chops)

            Against a range like [77+,ATs+,AJ+] you're at about 38% wins with 6.6% chops which should be about good enough. His range wins 49%.

            EV=%win*win-%lose*lose+%chop*chop, where you're chopping 350. (This is the same as winning half the chop 13.2% of the time)
            EV=.38(990)-.49(640)+.066(350)
            EV=86

            So clearly against that range you're plenty +EV to go with it.

            If we take out ATs and AJo you win 32% and chop 7.25% which is right about at the number you need. He wins 53.5% but your EV is:

            EV=.32(990)-.535(640)+.0725(350)
            EV=-.225

            So if he's that tight calling is 1/4 of a chip -EV. This is pretty close to EV neutral.

            Since I think he's shoving wider here than [77+,AJs+,AQo+] most of the time, I think this is a good call. Nice hand.
            4 Time Bracelet Winner


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by oriholic View Post
              You do say you raise fully expecting MadMouse to shove right?
              He did not say this. He said there was a chance he would shove, and he fully intended to call.

              Any info on possible reshoving ranges would certainly help.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't fully understand your reasoning, Oriholic. Mathematically, yes, this is a +EV call, but aren't the chips you lose worth more than the chips you win in tournaments? If he wins the hand, he'd have a stack of about 2400 chips, which is nice, but I don't think that edge is worth the risk. If he loses, he'd be crippled and have to double up twice. I'd definitely make the call if it was later in the tournament, but a slightly larger stack this early isn't worth very much, at least not enough. The risk/reward ratio does not justify a call in my opinion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  He wouldn't quite be crippled; he'd still have 20bb, which is definitely workable.

                  The chips you lose are worth more, but that's more true in late stages of tournaments because the pay jumps are close, not earlier. ICM would change a breakeven cEV call into a fold here, but it's hard to say without any info what range we're getting shoved on us.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If I lose, I have 900 left, which is about 20BB. I wouldn't call that crippled, but a playable stack, albeit on the short side. I've worked my way up from less than 20BB plenty of times, so I have faith that it's not a crippling blow. That did factor into my decision.

                    As for him shoving, He was getting short, and my experience is that people with stacksizes like his in these SnGs tend to shove pretty light. Hance my intent to call if he did shove, and I thought th chance he would ship it to be over the 50%. I'd anticipate him doing that with small pairs, Ax, but also Kx or a suited conmnector.

                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    keeping up with my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com
                    The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
                    Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PanickyPoker View Post
                      He wouldn't quite be crippled; he'd still have 20bb, which is definitely workable. The chips you lose are worth more, but that's more true in late stages of tournaments because the pay jumps are close, not earlier. ICM would change a breakeven cEV call into a fold here, but it's hard to say without any info what range we're getting shoved on us.
                      Yeah, crippled was probably the wrong word. I'm just asking because I want to make sure I understand the theory behind a call correctly. It seems a little spewy to me although I see why a call can be tempting. I'd still fold and wait for a better spot though even if a call here would be slightly +EV, but then again, you guys probably know this better than me. umbup:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It may be later than you think

                        Originally posted by Ov3rsight View Post
                        Hand 25, 20/27 left
                        Mad4Mouse has 790 left, a good 26BBs. Which I think makes it a nice restealing stack. So I get the AQ off. in the CutOff. Folded to me so I open for a standard 3x. When doing this I know there's a chance he's gonna shove on me, and I had fully intended to call that shove. He could be shoving with a small pair, or a weaker ace. So I'm way ahead or racing. Unless of course he shows the AK.

                        I have no doubt my open-bet was good, but what about the plan to call a potential shove?
                        I assume the following: This is a 27 man low buy-in game. The average stack size is just over 2000 chips. The blinds will double soon (25 hands played - on level 3). The SB is a semi-loose player with some poker skills. No read on the BB; you didn’t have a plan as to your reaction to any potential play by him. My assumption of the SB’s skill level, and type, is because you think he knows you might be open/raising light, and that he knows he has a good resteal stack. His stack (16BB, not 26BB as stated) ‘is’ a good resteal stack. His range, that you feel he will shove is, any Ax; any Kx; any pair; ?any? suited connector; and might as well throw in any broadway; would be about top 40% (not 50%), against which you have 60% equity.

                        At the moment, you’re just under average stack. The blinds are doubling within the next orbit. If you don’t chip-up, you’ll be nearing the push/fold range. You made a ?‘standard’? raise of 3X; the standard raise now a days can be lower than 3X at this level LP, but then again, that would also depend on table dynamics. Actually, you don’t always have to be ‘standard’. It’s a good idea to polarize your hands and use the same raise size at a given level and position (which I assume you are doing – good), but there are times you want to set-up a particular SPR by manipulating your bet size. In this case, you are willing to go to the felt with a shove from the SB; therefore, you should increase your bet to 250 (5X)! 250 sets-up a SPR of around 3 (if he called), now you are willing to get it in if you hit the flop. As an added bonus, 250 increases your fold equity, and confuses your opponents. If both blinds had 16BB stacks, that would be an option. As it is, you have a workable stack (and so does the BB), so make sure you can still maneuver against the BB. If the BB is the only caller, you’ll be the PFR and IP - good time for a C-bet on most flops!

                        As the hand was played, the SB shoved. Your plan was to call, if the SB shoved (and BB folded – I assume that was an unwritten part of your plan). Your plan is missing one very important factor! What is your image? Do the villains even care about your image, or are they just playing their cards? If they read you as only betting 3X with a premium hand, then your plan is faulty. If I’m in the SB, and a very NITty player, or a player that only raises 4% of the time, opens 3X, I’m gone unless I have a premium hand.

                        If you had any doubts about calling a shove, make it an easier decision, and just PFR 2X. It may be enough to get the BTN to fold, so that you can gain positional advantage on the flop, and now you can also get away from the hand if anyone shoves.

                        Originally posted by Feskprins View Post
                        I don't fully understand your reasoning, Oriholic. Mathematically, yes, this is a +EV call, but aren't the chips you lose worth more than the chips you win in tournaments? If he wins the hand, he'd have a stack of about 2400 chips, which is nice, but I don't think that edge is worth the risk. If he loses, he'd be crippled and have to double up twice. I'd definitely make the call if it was later in the tournament, but a slightly larger stack this early isn't worth very much, at least not enough. The risk/reward ratio does not justify a call in my opinion.
                        TeV (Tournament EV) 'is' different from EV - I'm a proponent of not risking early coin flips - BUT -
                        As the hand was played and assuming there is no image read on you: You have to put in 640 to win 990; you need 40% equity to make this a +EV play; you have 60% equity against the villains perceived hand range. If you lose you will have an 18BB stack (soon to be a 9BB stack – when blinds go up). Some may feel it’s to early to risk your chips, but it’s really later than you think, and the risk/reward is too great to pass up. If you win, you'll have 51BB's, and be in a much better position to take down the tourney. If you lose, you can still more than recover the loss with a double-up. There are times in a tourney when you need to gamble. I feel this is a pivotal point in the tourney for us, given our not so overwhelming stack size, impending blind rate going up, the dead money in the pot, and the shoving range of the villain - As the hand played out, I like the call!
                        .
                        "May the cards be with you!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by king_spadez1 View Post
                          TeV (Tournament EV) 'is' different from EV - I'm a proponent of not risking early coin flips - BUT - As the hand was played and assuming there is no image read on you: You have to put in 640 to win 990; you need 40% equity to make this a +EV play; you have 60% equity against the villains perceived hand range. If you lose you will have an 18BB stack (soon to be a 9BB stack – when blinds go up). Some may feel it’s to early to risk your chips, but it’s really later than you think, and the risk/reward is too great to pass up. If you win, you'll have 51BB's, and be in a much better position to take down the tourney. If you lose, you can still more than recover the loss with a double-up. There are times in a tourney when you need to gamble. I feel this is a pivotal point in the tourney for us, given our not so overwhelming stack size, impending blind rate going up, the dead money in the pot, and the shoving range of the villain - As the hand played out, I like the call! .
                          That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation! umbup:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We most certainly do not have 60% equity. I believe that would be the villain's perceived equity.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              AQ Equity vs Posted Range

                              Originally posted by PanickyPoker View Post
                              We most certainly do not have 60% equity. I believe that would be the villain's perceived equity.
                              I just 'poker stoved' (again), AQ against 'range in post' (Ax;Kx; any pair; *any suited connector - *I limited this to *JTs+, otherwise hero has a higher equity). Hero has a 61% equity against that range.
                              .
                              "May the cards be with you!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.