PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

awful call on the river

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awful call on the river

well, i was playing because the bets in my opinion were making the calls rentable...I might be wrong, what do you think guys

This is definitely an ugly hand, but I don't think you played badly. You're right that the bets were too small for you to fold, because even if you thought that a king was your only out, you had pot odds to call to try to hit it. I think that your call on the river is okay, too, because you did make top pair. You played fine in this hand. Actually, the guy who won played weird, because he could have won a lot more if he had bet a little bigger on the flop and turn.

I think that if you had bet a little bigger before the flop, decisions would have been easier for you after the flop. That's the only real advice I can think of here.

Comment

ty panick...sometimes with AQo i prefer to fold hehehe is too tricky or i am too nitty

Comment

Lack of analyzing on-the-go shows up. He was betting 50 OTF and OTT and then OTR A falls he decides to whip out a big bet. This should automatically raise all sort of alarm bells and big ass sign saying "WHY??????".
        I don't think that these 50s were supposed to be bluffs, but weak attempts at blocker bets (as it usually is with donks at micros) and this 300 indicates that this A obviously hit him. So what would block-bet OTF/OTT and not do it anymore when A hits OTR? Do we beat any of those hands?

Comment

Originally posted by Puciek View Post
          Lack of analyzing on-the-go shows up. He was betting 50 OTF and OTT and then OTR A falls he decides to whip out a big bet. This should automatically raise all sort of alarm bells and big ass sign saying "WHY??????".
          I don't think that these 50s were supposed to be bluffs, but weak attempts at blocker bets (as it usually is with donks at micros) and this 300 indicates that this A obviously hit him. So what would block-bet OTF/OTT and not do it anymore when A hits OTR? Do we beat any of those hands?

+1

At the micro levels this line by the villain is screaming AJ or A10. The wussy little bet's to "protect" his J or 10,and then the weak stab at value on the river.

His play is terrible here by the way,he should be value betting top pair top kicker,not putting out weak ass blocker bets. I hope you noted this player for future reference.

Comment

Thank you very much Puciek and Moxie, yeah I think I have to pay more attention at these lines of betting...

Comment

You start the hand with 26BB roughly.
              That does not leave you a whole lot of room to draw at hands.

Your gut shot and over cards is a decent drawing hand (albeit one with a ton of dirty out potential), and a call on the river if you were on around 75BB to 100BB would be fine. But on this depth of money it is just too much of your stack to take it past the flop.

You raised pre flop, and the oop player calls that raise.

He then donk leads into the pot, and you've missed.

Simply accept the fact that you are BEHIND any pair here, and with the multiplicity of draws you could be "ahead" of, you really have no clue where you are at it if you do hit an out.

If you cannot risk testing the villain's donk lead min bet with a raise of around half total pot (and you cannot), just let it go on the flop and save the rest of your short stack to fight another day.

Hope it helps.

-JDean
              Last edited by JDean; Mon Dec 12, 2011, 06:21 PM.
              Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

I'd have raised slightly more preflop, but in this hand, it really wouldn't have mattered.

On the flop, the opp leads out with a min donk bet, which looks to me like some sort of blocking bet because there are hands they are scared of, when you raised preflop. Instead of calling it, I'm either raising or folding here, most likely raising. By calling the 50 chips, you gain no info on the player and have no idea whether they're on a draw or hit part of the flop.

If you did raise and the opp shoves on you, then you will still have over 10BB left if you muck (which gives you a little time to find a hand to shove with).

By just calling their bets, when they suddenly make a much larger bet on the river, they most likely either flopped the straight or had Ax that hit 2 pair on the river.
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.