PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

erm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erm?

i just dont know if i played this right or wrong.TT is in the top 5% yes? so i raised hoping to narrow the field alot it was very early on in the mtt

Pref is ok
    Checking OTF is ok
    Calling turn is good, no point in semibluffing here
    Checking river is ok too, no point in bluffing.

Comment

I have two questions PokerPest.

What was the MTT, a freeroll, or buy-in at what level?

Did you check the hand history to see what other cards were mucked? They may have been ahead of you with a bigger pair to the board or even 2 pairs.

As you say it is early in an MTT, and give no reads on the table villains, your opening raise is fine if you expect it to achieve what you want, thinning the field. You do not want to play TT in a 4-way pot if you can avoid it, as any overcards on the board will kill your equity. If this is s freeroll or very cheap micro your raise will often not achieve this, and with the odds you have to call you might be better calling to try to hit your set on the flop, (set mining) rather than building the pot.

[btw pokerstove puts TT in the top 2.3% of starting hands.]

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
      4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
        Did you check the hand history to see what other cards were mucked? They may have been ahead of you with a bigger pair to the board or even 2 pairs.
        It doesn't matter whatsoever and doing so will only make you play worse.
        Last edited by Puciek; Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

As you say it is early in an MTT, and give no reads on the table villains, your opening raise is fine if you expect it to achieve what you want, thinning the field. You do not want to play TT in a 4-way pot if you can avoid it, as any overcards on the board will kill your equity. If this is s freeroll or very cheap micro your raise will often not achieve this, and with the odds you have to call you might be better calling to try to hit your set on the flop, (set mining) rather than building the pot.
          This is another fallacy that comes from not understanding the concept of EV. Betting pref with TT gets GREAT value if whole table calls you with their trash. It's very very very PROFITABLE PLAY. A lot more than limping it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puciek View Post
            It doesn't matter whatsoever and doing so will only make you play worse.
            Early in an MTT with plenty of chips left you should always check what hands your opponents just mucked. Take notes for later hands, or if they are regulars, for future tournaments.

I agree it makes no difference to the outcome of this hand or how you play it in this situation in future.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Early in an MTT with plenty of chips left you should always check what hands your opponents just mucked. Take notes for later hands, or if they are regulars, for future tournaments.

I agree it makes no difference to the outcome of this hand or how you play it in this situation in future.

This is going to be another "me vs horrible notes" eh? What hands here can be played extraordinary bad that would make them noteworth?

Comment

its was about 4 hands into the mtt im not going to commit with tens i have no reads on any 1, i assumed that 3x +1bb for each limper was correct, this was a 45 seat sng 1$ buy in and its the same game i won, i find the beggining stage very hard theres some right maniacs out there and u can expect alot of bad beats, ive been in the same situation with aces before now and shipped them trying to protect my aces only to get 4 or 5 callers and gettign crushed by junk hands.

Comment

Originally posted by PokerPest72 View Post
                  its was about 4 hands into the mtt im not going to commit with tens i have no reads on any 1, i assumed that 3x +1bb for each limper was correct, this was a 45 seat sng 1$ buy in and its the same game i won, i find the beggining stage very hard theres some right maniacs out there and u can expect alot of bad beats, ive been in the same situation with aces before now and shipped them trying to protect my aces only to get 4 or 5 callers and gettign crushed by junk hands.
                  Bad beats are very good for your bottom line, about time you learn that.

Comment

maybe for your bottom line but not for mine lol im prone to tilt ( something im working on)

Comment

Originally posted by Puciek View Post
                      Pref is ok
                      Checking OTF is ok
                      Calling turn is good, no point in semibluffing here
                      Checking river is ok too, no point in bluffing.
                      I totally agree.

If someone else didn't bet the turn before you, I'd have thrown out a bet to see where I was in the hand... but with someone else already doing it, just calling it is fine.
                      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

thanks JWK24 umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by PokerPest72 View Post
                          maybe for your bottom line but not for mine lol im prone to tilt ( something im working on)
                          He simply means bad beat = good descision, good descisions = long term profit, by putting it in that context tilting by these things SHOULD go away. They actually put a smile on my face as I say nice hand sir.
                          May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Comment

Originally posted by mtnestegg View Post
                            He simply means bad beat = good descision, good descisions = long term profit, by putting it in that context tilting by these things SHOULD go away. They actually put a smile on my face as I say nice hand sir.
                            And that's the right approach. If you take a bad beats often - this means you play good and will turn a profit in the long run. Knowing difference between bad play and bad beat is whole different matter though.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.