PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trip Queens on the button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Queens on the button

I am pretty sure I played this really badly and should have seen I was behind Villian_8 had been very loose and regularly taking puts by shoving all in. I think my initial bet should have been 120 - 150. but flopped the set with a inside straight draw. Should I have realised I was behind when the villain shoved although he had used that tactic about 1 in every 5 hands he played, it was hard to get a read on what he had been shoving with previously though as all op's had folded to his shove. Didn't think he had pocket kings as he had regularly shoved pre flop too so I felt he would have shoved pre flop with a pair of kings.
    Last edited by Webbo62; Fri Sep 19, 2014, 04:15 PM.

The wrong hand is displayed

Comment

ok corrected

Comment

I have no problem with your call here. Just a cooler

preflop, With your stack and these blinds, I would prob flatcall and hope see a nice flop. 3betting will cause better hands to call and worse hands to fold. You want the bad hands in as well with your weak holding.

If my stacksize was somewhere between ~30 and 10BB, I would fold
        If my stacksize was close to 10BB or less, I would shove here

Comment

Hi Webbo62! The first problem with this hand is preflop. With 2 limpers in front of me, if I'm going to raise, I need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper (150). I cannot raise to less than this or the opps will be getting the correct price to try to outdraw me (if they're not ahead already). Due to this, I will raise to 150 preflop. On the flop, I'm calling, but the key here is that I gave the opp the correct odds preflop with a marginal hand.... one that should fold to a standard raise. When the opps get the correct odds, they will win chips off of me on average, each and every single time, and I deserve to lose when I do so. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for that JWK yeah I would normally raise 3BB + 1 per limper not sure why I got it so wrong here. Although I have noticed in these tournaments early on when stacks are deep even if you raise on the button majority of the limpers will call, so not 100% convinced villain_8 would fold out to a 5 BB raise.

Comment

It doesn't matter if they would fold or not. We don't want to be results oriented when playing poker, only to make the best decision for a given point in time.

Due to the min raise, the opp expects to gain chips from us (bad). If they call a 5bb raise, they expect to lose chips to us (good).

John (JWK24)
              Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.