PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing JJ,TT,99 early position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing JJ,TT,99 early position

I was reading the cash game course in this site and I noticed something odd in the "starting hand chart".

(http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...lop-essentials)

So.. it says you should fold with JJ,TT,99 in early position when everyone folded? Why would you do that? I generally raise with these cards even in early position.

Same with small pairs, why would you call when you are raised but fold when you are not raised?! Am I not reading this table right? Most of it looks weird to me.

You can call to setmine if the stacks are deep enough or raise a limper, but these hands are too weak to play profitably from early position in unopened pots.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for the answer.. it makes some sense to play on limpers but here is my real problem.

If I'm UTG+1 with 77 and UTG raises, I should call.
      If I'm UTG+1 with 77 and UTG folds, I should fold?

I don't understand the logic there.

Comment

It takes a stronger hand to open a pot than it does to get in behind someone with position on them.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Cool, didn't know that. Thanks!

Comment

Position is a huge key postflop when playing hold'em. The player in position has the advantage and when you're in early position, you will be out of position the overwhelming majority of the time.

John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Indeed, I didn't appreciate the importance in opening the pot vs. calling a raise early position. Even if you are UTG+1 it's a game changer.

Comment

Ofc 90% of people dont play by this rules... micros in general,so they raise from utg any pair,any Ax... suited or not,any connectors

Sent from my awesome Cardschat SMC reward,Galaxy tab 3 8.0 using tapatalk

Comment

That chart is a mess. You can for sure open 99 utg. And you shouldnt be raising AK vs an UTG open as a standard.

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                    Position is a huge key postflop when playing hold'em. The player in position has the advantage and when you're in early position, you will be out of position the overwhelming majority of the time.

John (JWK24)
                    Sklansky would disagree with you (The Gap Concept).

The raiser loses position (if you're not in the blinds) but does have the initiative.

Comment

In my opinion there are more factors to take in consideration when opening 77+ from UTG.
                      Most important is that you have a betting lead and can take a lot of pots with a Cbet.

Comment

Working...
                      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.