PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2NL 6max line check KK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2NL 6max line check KK

Villain is playing semi-decent, open limping some pots, no other dynamics. Stats 18/10, 3bet 3,3, AF 4,2. Check/fold river or check/fold turn? Kinda ugly board actually cant really think of worse made hands calling turn i think, AT and QQ only.

i don't mind betting the turn johnnie, think it's fine.

Villain would raise a jack on flop i imagine so his range is super draw heavy imo.

You get value from tons of worse hands ott, can fold to a raise.

Lol at that river. EVERYTHING got there.
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

I would have made some slight differences. I like to raise 3.5 from Hijack because of position. On the flop i would raise higher because of the 3 way pot,the draw possibilities and the broadway board. 75% to pot If they call a pot bet you have to take them seriously before double barreling.The ace on the river was the end of it, but I think it might not have got that far had you made your bet sizes higher.

Comment

You can't rule out the Jack. Unless i had AJ i would not be reraising.Even then, i'd fear a boat.I would be calling down too, probably.Trips are painful.

Comment

I think a jack should be raising this flop. It's quite co ordinated and draw heavy, plenty of turns that can kill the action. I think when we are called on the flop we're ahead almost always.
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Totally agree about raising the jack on the flop , only, if there's a hand i've not learned to play , it's trips.I struggle to value trips with all the set mining in 6 max, Hence the caution and the desire to control the pot. Although , I do fear monsters too much .

Comment

Originally posted by awmm83 View Post
              I like to raise 3.5 from Hijack
              Never heard that someone raises bigger from late position. Do you raise 4x from UTG then?

Umm yeah one of my bet slider presets is on 75%, dunno why i bet 12 cents, it is a bit small i should bet 13 to give wrong odds to draw to flush or open ender to both opponents.
              Last edited by CrazYJohnnie; Mon May 05, 2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

(preflop) This is fine, i like this
                (flop) UGLY board, in MP I don't mind a c-bet here
                (turn) With a board like this, I will probably check the turn for pot control and it wouldn't hurt to see where I am. If our opponent bets more than 1/2 the pot we can check/fold here but if its 1/2 or less (or even a check) then we keep the pot small so we can call on the river.
                (river) Good check, here. I don't like the Ace but is an Ace really going to be beating me here? I am happy to check/call a reasonable bet or check/fold a big bet on the river. The ace shouldn't have changed anything there, if you weren't getting raised on the turn, I don't see a Ten or a Jack.. I honestly felt like in that spot it was a pair but the price you were getting to call the river was fair enough that I could have called it.

Overall... the only thing I would have done differently there is a bit of pot control on the turn. if our opponent has a monster then we are folding to any strong bets here (50% max please) otherwise we can check/call to the river for a good price and showdown. This might seem a bit passive but without position and only an overpair to such a messy board, we have no idea where we are and at best need to play for a small pot to get any value.

Comment

just regarding checking the turn baud.

If we had some equity when raised i see a valid argument for checking the turn. Say the Aclubs peels instead of the 8diamonds. We now have the nut flush draw, so instead of being blown off our equity if we bet and are raised we can check call.

However, on the turn if we are raised on this board, we can muck pretty confidently, knowing we're never good here. Main point being that versus the range that villain raises turn with, our equity is terrible. So easy fold. However there's too many worse hands still on the turn to protect against, so I think betting is optimal.
                  Bracelet Winner

Comment

yup, its one of those situations where we start the fight with a bazooka but then the lights go off and we scramble around to pickup... a pistol.

Lights come back up and now I have no idea where that bazooka went.

... then all of a sudden a guy in the distance shouts "Is this what you were looking for!" and i can see him raising something bulky up to his shoulders.

RUNNNNN!!!!!

The second we feel the lead is taken away from us we should be looking to get done with the hand as cheapily as possible and wait for the next one. AA/KK are deceptivly strong and need the right opponents, spot and flop to work to our advantage

We need to be holding the Bazooka and stay holding it whilst our opponents are throwing rocks and sticks at us.. the second they find their own WMDs, we need to play it safe

Comment

Did you watch Commando recently or something?

Lol, I heart that movie.
                      Bracelet Winner

Comment

dont think i have ever seen it
                        just felt the analogy worked for some reason

Bringing a bazooka to a spoon fight!

I love comparing poker to a fight, it often feels that way with big scary opponents, weak opponents, strong hands, strong stacks and weak stacks/hands. So many variables that all lead to one thing, someone winning and someone losing.

Sometimes it is more important how loud you can scream and your war-dance than the size of your gun!
                        ... and sometimes, a pea-shooter can't beat a napalm air strike!

Comment

This might sound weird, but I'm checking the flop with almost my entire range. (I bet trips and combo draws sometimes).

You're hardly ever going to get three streets of value from a worse hand on this board, so check it, planning to call if the button bets. On the turn, if he barrels for half pot or so, you can check-call again. (Usually fold to a big bet).
                          On safe rivers, you can generally fold if villain bets, because he'll nearly always have trips+ if he fires the third bullet. (Only the craziest bluffer will fire again with less than trips, and he'll check back stuff like Tx that has showdown value.) On the river that showed up here, it's an obvious fold as everything beats you.
                          Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue May 06, 2014, 02:47 AM.
                          Bracelet Winner

Comment

@ Baud, watch commando, seriously. GOAT.

Like Artys thought on the hand also. Makes sense.
                            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
                              This might sound weird, but I'm checking the flop with almost my entire range. (I bet trips and combo draws sometimes).

You're hardly ever going to get three streets of value from a worse hand on this board, so check it, planning to call if the button bets. On the turn, if he barrels for half pot or so, you can check-call again. (Usually fold to a big bet).
                              On safe rivers, you can generally fold if villain bets, because he'll nearly always have trips+ if he fires the third bullet. (Only the craziest bluffer will fire again with less than trips, and he'll check back stuff like Tx that has showdown value.) On the river that showed up here, it's an obvious fold as everything beats you.
                              Yep, this thought yesterday crossed my mind and it doesnt sound weird. Like if i dont expect worse hands to be calling turn, why exactly do think i can get worse hands to call OTF?
                              Can i rep Jack tho if i check/call flop?

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.