PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

set on straight board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set on straight board

Villain 48/24 273 hands Can I raise on that turn or do I only get called by better hands?

You should have donked the flop. At worst check raised villain. You gave him the impetus. You should also have bet on the turn. You let villain play the hand perfectly. Bad you! Bet those monsters fast!

Comment

I agree. I'm leading both streets (flop and turn) with a standard bet that will price out the opp's draws. 2/3 pot vs two opps, 1/2 pot against one opp. If the opp wants to chase and draw when they expect to lose chips to me each and every time on average... so be it.

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Personally i would c/raise the turn as played, tons of value from 1 pair and draw hands/even two pair combos.

then on river i'd bet 1/2 pot and fold to a raise. Something like that, still plenty value on the river.
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Checking the flop here is fine, leading is good too but a check is only valuable vs leading if you know your opponent will bet.

At the turn you have really 2 options, take the lead or act passive.
          If you act passive you need to check-raise here, a call is likely going to end in a fold on the river since your opponent can't draw any more and will likely feel beat. If you check-raise then you are playing to his ego, he may call as an impulse or he may fold but if he doesn't call a check-raise he would likely not call a simple river bet.

I felt that at some point, you needed to take the lead, you got lucky that your opponent was happy to fall for your trap but most opponents will smell a rat and get away from it. I wouldn't reckon you get lucky for such a maniac opponent next time.

Comment

check/raising the flop turns my cards face up.... something that I want to avoid.

John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.