PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2NL 6m Call shove?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2NL 6m Call shove?

villain: vpip36/pfr36/3bet12.5 32hands AF% 45 He had been very active pre: Should I 3bet with a hand like this against a villain like that. I think QJs is strong enough to call on the BTN. On flop, I think my play so far is not unusual/correct. I have huge draws and it's a coinflip against his best hands, but way ahead of his average range, isn't it. Is it correct to call the shove, or is this an easy fold ?

!!SPOILER!! hand in boom
    http://www.boomplayer.com/nl/poker-h...257_9DC7FB03DA

Comment

yeah this is fine, the only hand you are very far behind is if he holds exactly AT of hearts, you are like 36% or so vs that hand.

Its a small sample size but QJ suited is definately good enough to call and see a flop and your post flop play is pretty standard.

I think there is more value in calling in pos. than to 3 bet an early/mp open with QJs
      Tournament of Champions Winner 2014

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

If villain's stack off range is sets, 2 pairs and the monster combo of pair/NFD (KK,TT,66,KTs,,KTo) you have 44% equity. I've not done the pot odds math, so I'll leave that as an exercise for you.
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
          If villain's stack off range is sets, 2 pairs and the monster combo of pair/NFD (KK,TT,66,KTs,,KTo) you have 44% equity. I've not done the pot odds math, so I'll leave that as an exercise for you.
          I was just talking about the one hand he had the least equity against being AT of hearts and I just threw out a guess I ran AT hearts vs QJ of hearts and the QJ is 39.92 vs AT. I didn't run the range of hands he might be up against, I think its a pretty easy get it in 2.70 to win 6.40
          Last edited by FireMedic815; Fri Mar 28, 2014, 04:42 AM.
          Tournament of Champions Winner 2014

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Preflop I would not consider 3betting here. You have position and are facing an ep raise which will be a tigher opening range even from a loose aggressive player. We can't 3bet for value here but it is a great spot to flat as you did. Moreover, we want to keep his range wide and put our position to use. If we get a good flop we can expect him to cbet quite often winning us more profit.

You get a great flop. We can follow two lines here. Either call the flop cbet which keeps the pot under control and keeps the villain's range wide. This is safe and keeps your options open. Or, we can raise as you did. If we raise, I think we need to be prepared to play for a big pot. The villain appears quite aggressive so I don't expect to have much fold equity when raising in this spot.

Against this player at 2NL, I would expect a somewhat wider jamming range than what Arty assigned him. I would also include Kx hands AK, KQ, KJ for tp. He may also have AA and Ax of hearts. Against this range, calling the all in will be break even. This leads me to conclude that it is better to flat on the flop and reevaluate on the turn. We can use position to control the pot and keep the villain's range wide until we have improved.

Roland GTX

Comment

Thanks all ! Good to see lots of opinions and analyses

The moment that flop came, my plan was to get it in no matter what bcause I liked my odds. That's a very bad way to play, I know, but my instincts said I couldn't be much behind or even be ahead.

If I called the flop and re-evaluate the turn, I'm not sure I would believed he had a K so maybe stacks would have go in any way. we'll never know.

At least I don't regret my play as I often do in big pots.

Comment

to see the flop there was nothing wrong with your call to reraise on the flop betting your draw and calling his allin just because you feel the odds are good is just bad play tbh and you got what you deserved

Comment

Originally posted by donkkilla76 View Post
                  to see the flop there was nothing wrong with your call to reraise on the flop betting your draw and calling his allin just because you feel the odds are good is just bad play tbh and you got what you deserved
                  This comment isn't very helpful donkkilla. Moreover, it is not a clear cut fold as you seem to believe. Treate your fellow PSO members with some respect in the future. We are here to learn not deride one another.

Roland GTX

Comment

Originally posted by Roland GTX View Post
                    This comment isn't very helpful donkkilla. Moreover, it is not a clear cut fold as you seem to believe. Treate your fellow PSO members with some respect in the future. We are here to learn not deride one another.

Roland GTX
                    yes you are right roland my comments probably do seem a bit harsh but after having people calling allin on draws even when they have only got the river card left and them hitting 8 - 10 times has left me a bit bitter, but as for clear cut i dont think it could be any clearer they have top pair at a bare min and all you are doing is chasing a draw, im not saying you should never chase but there should always be a point where someone can bet enough to call you off
                    Last edited by donkkilla76; Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

yes you are right roland my comments probably do seem a bit harsh but after having people calling allin on draws even when they have only got the river card left and them hitting 8 - 10 times has left me a bit bitter
                      I know what you mean donkkilla, but this was certainly no stupid gamble-move like getting all-in on a gutshot. I had 14 outs to (semi-) nuthands. I had 51.5% at the moment it went in, so slight favorite. Ofc I didn't know he had AK but statically I made the right move in hindside. So the only thing I deserve is to win the hand I have 54% to QQ, 62%-72% to JJ down to 22 (excl 10-10, 6-6) I have about 52% to broadways like KQ, KJ, 65% to A10off I'm slightly, 48.5%, behind against AA (no heart) and slightly behind K10 (48%) and coinflip against other 2pair. the only hands that have me really beat are: A (45%), Sets (KK, TT, 66) 40% and (35%). That are only a few combination, and most of them will try to make valuebets and don't shove to scare everyboy out that has a worse hand. So I know you shouted out of frustration, believe me I've been there, but this is deffo no such hand ! GL at the tables and I hope you get lots of gamblers that shove gutshots to you because you will win in the long run.
                      Last edited by rkleefstra; Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

i get what you are saying stats wise but if you included him having ak and if i was in this hand thats what my gut would be telling me your odds are too close, which if your happy to throw your money at a coin flip thats fine, but me personally i wouldve folded. As for beating the gutshot draws not happening as of yet lol, but hopefully soon good play will beat luck

Comment

we have 72 pros. on here and if it was possible to ask each one if he would call or fold this hand on the flop to an all in 72 would say instant call.
                          Triple Bracelet Winner

Comment

i get what you are saying stats wise but if you included him having ak and if i was in this hand thats what my gut would be telling me your odds are too close, which if your happy to throw your money at a coin flip thats fine, but me personally i wouldve folded.

You might want to look at his side of the story. What the hell is he thinking shoving 150BB with just TPTK !?
                            If I have a set which is one of the hands that will certainly call he is way way down. Any flushdraw get 30-35%, and he is flipping at best to all hands that call.

So basically, his play is way more questionally than mine.

Comment

Personally with OESD and 2nd Nut flush draw I am getting my chips in as fast a possible OTF.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.