PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 buy ins down in 8 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 20 buy ins down in 8 days

    Everybody goes on about how easy it is to beat 2nl and how you can easily print money at these stakes.

    Ive been working so hard at my game lately (posting hands in the forum, watching videos and going over all the biggest pots from each of my sessions)

    But each session im grinding out a 3 buy in loss or more. Maybe this game isnt for me i dont know, confidence is at an all time low right now.

    Over and out,

    Ads

  • #2
    Originally posted by adsthepro777 View Post
    Everybody goes on about how easy it is to beat 2nl and how you can easily print money at these stakes.

    Ive been working so hard at my game lately (posting hands in the forum, watching videos and going over all the biggest pots from each of my sessions)

    But each session im grinding out a 3 buy in loss or more. Maybe this game isnt for me i dont know, confidence is at an all time low right now.

    Over and out,

    Ads
    I am in exactly the same position Ads.

    I have set myself a $10 limit for this month to play cash at 2NL - and I don't really want to play it at all - I have played 2 sessions just to get the 1VPP for the January Challenges - and lost half that $10 already - so I am giving it up for this month.

    I'm going to play minimal cash this year and just stick to MTTs & sitngos where I know my losses are fixed at the buy-ins and if I use good BRM I will have no problems.

    I will return to the cash tables - but not until I have a decent roll and have done a lot of studying and analysis.

    I think when your confidence is low cash games are the worst format to play.

    Best of luck

    Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
    4 Time Bracelet Winner


    Comment


    • #3
      What happened before the last 8 days?

      Is this just a bad run after a good run or a break even stretch. Does it feel as if your game has changed?

      The thing I have found at 2NL is that you have to aim for the fat value spots. There is rarely a great deal of sense in bluffing aside from cbetting. If you have a value hand bet bet bet. Be careful with marginal hands and it's often wise to fold if you are really unsure if you are ahead and the price is bad.

      I know that is all fairly generic but it's hard to give concrete advice currently without further info.

      Maybe post some positional stats as a starter. If you run a database.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi ads!

        Not everyone finds 2NL easy, but when winning players from higher levels drop down, it often seems easy for them. Also, suckouts will be at thier highest there since weak players overplay their hands. The same day that I saw you for example, I 4b shoved all in preflop with AA and got called by a player holding 83s LOL! And yes, his flush got there, but I still had to laugh.

        One thing you might try. Take a break from Zoom. Sit down at one regular table. Work on your note taking and reads, and pick your spots. Just try to play smart value based poker and see how it goes

        GL and have fun at the tables!

        Roland GTX

        Comment


        • #5
          ty for all the feedback huys

          i will keep working at my game to try and get back on the up. Not giving up just yet :P

          Edin - i've gone back and forth so much between being a sit n go player and a cash player i just wanna stick with cash this time and try and ride out the bad stretch. As for the confidence thing....i completely agree but i think confidence will come pretty easy if i can pick up a couple buy ins

          Bhoy - i was on a heater but was still running $10 below ev lol, im actually still 10 buy ins below EV atm so i guess thats something :P I think in the past ive got into a lot of trouble betting 3 streets with a pair weak kicker and getting shown a bigger kicker every time. So yeah there's definately a lot of leaks in my game that i need to sort out sooner rather than later.

          Roland - Im pretty sure i still owned you in that 3 bet pot but yeah i was referring to your printing money quote lol kind of made me think what the hell am i doing wrong here? haha, on a serious note though im cutting myself down to playing just the one zoom table for a while just not trying to get too much volume in (15k in 9 days) Also i think i rush my decisions, need to take more time to consider ranges of villains and general spots where i'd usually look back and think "why did i call that? what a donk" lol

          Thanks again for all the feedback guys, great to have all the support, love this site.

          ty all

          Ads

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by adsthepro777 View Post
            .. watching videos and going over all the biggest pots from each of my sessions...
            I'd suggest you focus on the decisions where you had the most uncertainty or other problems.

            Good decisions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hello Guys,


              I have notice that if you are playing low buy-ins, minimal buy ins, the other players have the tendance to risk more, call more, go all in more, because they are not risking so much money, so they will make another deposit...and so...
              Try to wach like an observer some tables like, SNG 3.5, or 7, cash 5NL, and you will see that you will be treated with a some kind higher respect on your play.

              This is what i have realized playing, and it doesn't mean that you can see the same like me.

              Comment


              • #8
                if u can skip 2nl do it! i lost a lot of money cause russians tend to win too often with hands like J8o or A3o...
                it drove me crazy so i deplted roll several times after hitting fulltilt after couple of hands like that...
                2nl is similar donk play like freerolls are...

                skip 2nl and u will feel much better...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow, we have some 'move up to where they respect your raises' advice and it appears to be genuine, 2+2 would have a field day with those.

                  I'd like to say what I feel needs to be said to that but it risks being cited as reason for an infraction. It suffices to say that moving up because they respect your raises and play more straightforward is really bad advice. I've actually moved down voluntarily to play 2NL precisely because I made a withdrawal and, while I could still have played higher, it is because they don't respect my raises that I have loved playing at 2NL.

                  I get people shoving with nonsense when I have the nuts. I get people calling huge value bets with mediocre hands. You move up, they respect your bets, so they fold and don't give you value. When I get home tonight, or maybe tomorrow, I will search out some great stuff from 2+2 which augments what we have here.

                  For players learning the game 2NL is exactly the place to be.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bhoylegend View Post
                    Wow, we have some 'move up to where they respect your raises' advice and it appears to be genuine, 2+2 would have a field day with those.

                    I'd like to say what I feel needs to be said to that but it risks being cited as reason for an infraction. It suffices to say that moving up because they respect your raises and play more straightforward is really bad advice. I've actually moved down voluntarily to play 2NL precisely because I made a withdrawal and, while I could still have played higher, it is because they don't respect my raises that I have loved playing at 2NL.

                    I get people shoving with nonsense when I have the nuts. I get people calling huge value bets with mediocre hands. You move up, they respect your bets, so they fold and don't give you value. When I get home tonight, or maybe tomorrow, I will search out some great stuff from 2+2 which augments what we have here.

                    For players learning the game 2NL is exactly the place to be.
                    well maybe u feel that way... i find 5nl much better than 2nl... maybe i just came across bigger number of players shoving J8o vs mine KK/AA and lose...
                    i think the larger step u take game is more dependent on skill while 2nl is about luck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...219_B202DA1676

                      ok this was 5nl... 2nl is even worse than this...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by magicius View Post
                        well maybe u feel that way... i find 5nl much better than 2nl... maybe i just came across bigger number of players shoving J8o vs mine KK/AA and lose...
                        i think the larger step u take game is more dependent on skill while 2nl is about luck
                        That is very arguable. Since we expect to have bigger edge at 2nl than 5nl. Bigger edge means less variance(luck factor):

                        Ok, those players suckout sometimes. But we are printing EV everytime we stick money in favourable spots. We want to go into those spots.

                        For those downswings it's vital to search the cause of it imo : Either it is variance or bad play. Sometimes it is very thin line between them(anobody experienced that?) Just keep analyzing and grinding(watch out for burn out) and you will be okay.
                        Last edited by morduk666; Thu Jan 09, 2014, 10:38 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by morduk666 View Post
                          That is very arguable. Since we expect to have bigger edge at 2nl than 5nl. Bigger edge means less variance(luck factor).

                          For those downswings it's vital to search the cause of it imo : Either it is variance or bad play. Sometimes it is very thin line between them(anobody experienced that?)
                          i am just saying if u raise 4BB from button blinds will fold more than if u do same in 2nl,0.08 to see a flop with K3o why not...

                          bigger the stakes,people are more cautious...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by magicius View Post
                            bigger the stakes,people are more cautious...
                            As you move your opponents will become more aggressive. As the range tightens aggression must increase. If that suits your style, you should find moving up through the micro ranks goes pretty smooth. If you have to adapt to aggression (both facing and displaying) you should proceed more cautiously.

                            Remember, the need for good hands corresponds to the showdown rate. The fewer hands going to showdown the more creative you can and should be. But it's a delicate balance to maintain if you're not table aware.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              moving up thru micro is PAIN...

                              http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...491_D6BBC405C5

                              take a look... i sensed he got KK but how could i fold QQ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.