PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NL2$ 6-max Was it better to check on the river to induce a bluff ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL2$ 6-max Was it better to check on the river to induce a bluff ?

villain_5: VP:86 PR:2 AFq:40 AF:1.03 This villain is (crazy)loose and hardly has any agression preflop. His agression comes from flop, turn and river with a tendancy to bet scary boards. I think his game play might be to limp, call and then take pots by bluffing opponent out. If that is the case, should I have played differently on the river ? Other sizing or even check ?

everything is standard and correctly played in my opinion. Villain just doesn't have a good enough hand to call you. So don't blame yourself.

This is quite common when you have the nuts (2nd nuts).

Checking on the turn and river would lose value against his draws, pairs, overpairs.

If you were planning to bluff induce, you should have done it by checking on the turn. Yet, for me, betting is still a better play.

Comment

The overused "look weak when strong" may work on the river against a post-flop aggro at this level. Bet ~20-30% of the pot and hope for a shove or call.

My advice is to be wary of bets that look like they want a call against most players.

p.s. Except against me as I'd never try something like that.
      Last edited by TrumpinJoe; Wed Jan 01, 2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

On this board I think betting is only right thing to do, as any made pair the villain has is also a full house and he has hard time to fold it.

Comment

thank you all for the input (take it along as usual )

Comment

Villain's AF is only 1.03. He's a calling station, so won't be bluffing. Bet big on every street, as he's calling with every pocket pair, and probably also just a deuce.
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Clear - thank you

Comment

Originally posted by betsizer View Post
                villain_5: VP:86 PR:2 AFq:40 AF:1.03
                Originally posted by betsizer View Post
                This villain is (crazy)loose and hardly has any agression preflop. His agression comes from flop, turn and river with a tendancy to bet scary boards.
                Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
                Villain's AF is only 1.03. He's a calling station, so won't be bluffing. Bet big on every street, as he's calling with every pocket pair, and probably also just a deuce.
                With PFR =2% it takes a lot of post flop aggression to get back to about 1 AF.

Why ignore OP's comments that don't agree with your "advice"?

Comment

Hi betsizer,

I think you played it perfectly. This villain is not an aggressive bluffer, he's very passive both pre and post according to these stats. Did you have a specific observation that led you to feel like he was a bluffer?

And since all pairs have a full house now, I expect him to be calling us down with them, so betting is good.

@Joe, AF and AFq are post flop stats, they don't include preflop actions, this villain is indeed quite passive post flop as well as pre thus far.
                  Head Live Trainer
                  Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thank you - lol never knew that AF was not counting in preflop - have learned again

Comment

Thanks for straightening me out Dave. Haven't played cash online in a while and I am getting a bit rusty.

My apologies Arty.

Comment

Working...
                      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.