PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2NL 6-max - Bluff catcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2NL 6-max - Bluff catcher

Villain playing 74/23/13 Can I call this? I'm really not sure what the over bet means or if he's ever bluffing here. Any ideas?

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

If he bet a bigger amount on the turn, on that case a bluff would seem possible.
    But he bet one big blind, which indicates either a weak pair or 9x.
    The overbet on the river is two times the size of the pot so it looks strongly as value.
    All things considered you have to fold and I would be surprised if he didn't showed up with 9J.
    Now if the villain was isildur1, I would suggest calling 25% of the time, but I don't think viktor plays those stakes.
    Last edited by GamblingProp; Sat Jul 13, 2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

J9 is 1 of the many hands he could have, i dont know how to read stats but judging by what i see:

Its very unlikely that hes bluffing here, putting him on T9 or any other 9x like Gamb suggested he definitly has the straight here so its a good fold.

he might even have Q10 to have a reason to bet that big on the river but again pretty unlikely with that 678board, and even if he has Q10 its foolish to bet that big on the river.
      don't beg for things do it yourself or else you won't get anything

Comment

I'd recommend betting half pot on the turn. It gets value from worse and prevents you being bluffed on the river. By checking, you look so weak that a villain in position can bully you off your equity.
        As played, two pair is not a great bluff-catcher on a 4-straight board. I think he has a 9 here almost always (mostly with 98, 97) and I doubt he'd consciously turn a hand like 76 into a bluff.
        Folding the river is fine and you lost the minimum. Nice hand, bad runout.

FWIW, I see a lot of 2NL 6-max players taking a min-min-pot or min-min-overbet line. Just about every time I've seen a showdown, villain has had the (near) nuts. When villain has shown up with a bluff, I've taken a note. Without a specific note like "overbets river with missed draw", I'm generally never making a hero call.
        Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Jul 13, 2013, 06:22 PM.
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Cheers Arty. I have to say I didn't think I could call it but I'm never too sure of what overbets mean from villains of this type and thought he might be getting stubborn with a one pair hand that he turns into a bluff or something like that but folded as I thought the 9 was too much in his range.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Comment

This happened to me yesterday and i charged him the maximum to outdraw me with my TPTK, by the maximum i mean i jammed 50c into a pot of 10c on the flop he was that much of a station just for him to hit his out on the river and i was pot committed and got stacked.

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.