PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25NL - Jack Link's Beef Jerky Hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25NL - Jack Link's Beef Jerky Hand

Here's a brain crusher only for you guys! I've deliberately removed my holding for this one. Can you read my hand? SB: 25/20/3 (641)- Fold to steal 69% BB: 21/14/1 (42) - Fold to steal 80%

92 or an Ax flush I guess?

Comment

U think i'd open 92 OTB?

Comment

Maan, it could be anything

He overcalled preflop against btn open = weak, he checked to us 3 times on a very dry board = weak. This tells me that he can be either slowplaying a monster or has a genuinely weak hand. Since having a monster on that board is super difficult and I cannot see him checking river with any boat or flush I am probably trying to bluff with anything worse than A high (his stats look like he has a fold button plug in installed). The board is reasonably dry and both villains' ranges are quite weak OTF which means you could have cbet with almost any 2 if you wanted. If the villain was a weaker regular I would overbet the river and get him off any weak pair which might sometimes make a curiosity call (for a smaller bet that is).

I do not know your game very well but I would probably call you here very light. probably calling with any pair and AK,AQ, but that is me and I do have to admit that my fold button mysteriously disappears from time to time. Having said that I hope you are value betting 77 or better yourself(Not necessarily with that sizing)?
        Last edited by TommyGun369; Wed Jul 03, 2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Interesting thought process there Tommy!
          "I would probably call you here very light" with that said, I assume you would not bluff river yourself then?

Comment

3c5c AcXc or pocket 4s/ more likely a bluff

Comment

No that means that I would almost always use the opportunity against a weaker player but would probably give up against a stronger opponent. Basically he can only have a bluff catcher so what I would do highly depends on my read on him. I think this is a decent spot to bluff overbet (or just bet big like you did) against an unknown though... I might be terribly wrong

Is he likely to call with a 6, 77 or 88? With a big bet I could sometimes even get him off TT or JJ? I think I would either try to look polarized with a hand like T9,88,77; make a complete bluff or value bet small with a strong hand (since he looks so weak). I know this is easily exploitable so my preferred action is very read dependent. And since we do not have any reads...

I cannot help myself but I think I would not be able to fold a pair in this situation. That is just because I am not used to playing against villains who can marge in these spots effectively (maybe this is no longer true at 25NL) so against a polarized range from the button I think a pair is easily good 30% of the time. I would be paying off a flush or some random boat like 44 sometimes but I would not be surprised at all to see a hand like JhTh...

please quickly prove me wrong so I can stop spewing money

Comment

I would think your opponent has showdown value - calling preflop this time when they fold so often to steals - and check-calling the dry flop. When you both check down the turn the 9 has not probably improved anybody and the river club completes flush draws (or unlikely low straight) but doesn't help much else. I would expect opponent to have a small or medium pair - not 44, 66 or 99 though so 33/55/77/88 maybe or and ace/6 king/6. I don't see them having the flush often. Your checking the turn betting the river looks likely for a flush draw from the button - but I would probably call your river bet with some pairs - certainly with 77 or 88 as I think you have as many bluffs as actual flushes. I might call with A6/K6 too.

Not enough info on the opponent really - but if I was in your spot I would probably only bet the river if I have showdown value - I don't expect bluffs to work much here.

Ed
                Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Jul 03, 2013, 08:57 PM.
                4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Here's my take on it: I am eliminating a flush...because I don't think it is profitable to bet more than half pot on the flop with a flush draw (correct me if I'm wrong). You min-raised pre and value bet on the flop: that's likely to be an overpair or a flopped boat or even quads. You checked the turn most likely for deception and because the villain's most likely folding to a turn barrel. Your value betting pocket pairs, flushes on the river. I think the villain had a mid-pair type hand 55, 77, 88, that called the flop bet but folded on the river because of the flush which got there.

How did I do?
                  Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by RFlush007 View Post
                    Here's my take on it: I am eliminating a flush...because I don't think it is profitable to bet more than half pot on the flop with a flush draw
                    fold equity. heard about it before?

Comment

Originally posted by geoVARTA View Post
                      Interesting thought process there Tommy!
                      "I would probably call you here very light" with that said, I assume you would not bluff river yourself then?
                      Just to elaborate on this a bit more. I would call you light because I think you are capable of taking these bluff opportunities against weak ranges often enough to make it profitable. Against some villains I would fold a hand like 32 without feeling too band (not that I would have that in my range that often )

Comment

You flopped quads. Amirite?
                        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Comment

Am i the only one that cheated? lol It wasn't what I thought it was Did the villain fold to the river bet Geo? umbup:

Comment

99?
                              2+something of clubs?
                              on my stakes you would have a very good hand on the river
                              Last edited by Praydk; Thu Jul 04, 2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.