PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25NL 6maxZ. You make the (river) call?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25NL 6maxZ. You make the (river) call?

Hi,

Against unknowns I open raised red A9o from the btn and the blinds call. I c-bet a black 85A flop one caller, we check a red 7 turn, then on a black 6 river I'm faced with such a big over bet.

Bluffing a flush on the river with the idiot end of a straight is the spoiler.

I can only make >>this call<< because there is no value in that bet size so it must be a bluff?

Am I making mistakes with no reads that this bet could be low suited spades?

Hi Forrest,

A big river bet like this is usually for value in my experience, trying to make up for lost value earlier in the hand. While he certainly could have a flush, I think that's good for us as the flush didn't exist earlier in the hand.

Given how we played, villain would certainly think aces up or sets are good. Or a 4 or 9. Obviously we beat or tie all of that. Plus our range has plenty of air (like 2 broadways) or pocket pairs, with which he doesn't expect us to call, and that does open up the possibility this is some bluff. A bluff really makes no sense though here as 1) what did he call the flop with that is now just a bluff? and 2) why so much? He can successfully "bluff" us off air and pockets by betting $3, he doesn't need to risk $6.50. So if it's a bluff, it's pretty horrible, but then again bad players do things that make no sense all the time.

I think our hand strength and the situation warrants a call.
    Head Live Trainer
    Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.