PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Game promotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Game promotion

This is a NZ specific promotion, but I was hoping the community could put on their thinking hats and let me know if they devise some strategy for beating this challenge.

The Big Game is a TV show screening in New Zealand, I think the show was actually cancelled but oh well, PokerStars is giving us the promotion anyway

It is a freeroll tournament, but effectively it's a ring game because of the structure:

Starting chips 100,000, tables are 6-max, blinds are 200/400 with 100 ante and don't go up. The game is limited to 1 hour.

There are three of these every night of the week. If you don't bust out, you get a portion of 1,000 play money, but that's not really worth anything. The real value is in the leaderboard. People that finish within top 100 get points towards a weekly leaderboard. Top 100 on the leaderboard at the end of the week get real money. There are usually about 300 people enrolled. A lot of people sit out because you can't get blinded out. They won't be coming in top 100, so I guess they're just milking the tourney for 2 play money? weird. One day I was on the table with 5 sit-outs.

I have found that playing TGA does not work - you don't build the stack fast enough. Everyone plays extremely loose, they call everything, and often aggressive post-flop. Betting 3x, 4x is useless -- people just call with any rubbish, they'll even call 10x. Can make them fold with about 20K, but it's risky. It appears people are more likely to call if you're all in and they have you covered, so that's worthwhile for monster hands, but scary too.

Any ideas?
Working...
X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.