PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nl Zoom - 33 MP. Should I fire the 2nd barrel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nl Zoom - 33 MP. Should I fire the 2nd barrel?

Pre flop I mae a std open and get called by an unknown in the BB. The flop is relatively inocuous and the villain checks to me, I cbet as I don't want to give a free card to hands that have good equity against me. Also I'm happy to take the pot down on the flop if he obliges. He calls my cbet and the turn pairs the board, he checks to me again and I'm unsure whether I should fire the second barrel here. If I do i'm turning my hand into a bluff as nothing worse will call, by betting I'm basically screaming 'Hey! I have a Jack.' is this a good spot to fire the second barrel, or is anything that calls the flop calling the turn? Cheers Oliver
    Follow me on: Twitter

Hey Oliver

You have answered your own question once again! Good job

Anything that calls the flop is going to call the turn, I think this is the key idea. While it is perhaps not strictly true here (22 might fold, as might AQ/AK/AT), I think it is more or less true. It has enough truthiness that we should consider it to be the case!

Because of that we don't have much fold equity and I think should check back, hoping to spike a 3 about 5% of the time, hoping to win at showdown something like 5-10% of the time. Its not a great spot because those aren't good percentages and we can't bluff-catch the river or value bet or bluff or bluff-raise or really anything much. But such is the plight of our small pocket pairs.

I would not mind bluffing an ace river of course, but that might be it. It depends on your read on the opponent and their timing if you want to fire the K or the Q.

Sometimes we aren't meant to win the hand, if your opponent folded to the second barrel here that's quite the lucky outcome it seems to me

Comment

It seems that I can correctly identify what to do after the fact, however during the hand I'm still making these mistakes. I ended up firing the turn he called and bombed the river pretty big.

Thanks for all the help Gareth

Comment

It seems that I can correctly identify what to do after the fact, however during the hand I'm still making these mistakes. I ended up firing the turn he called and bombed the river pretty big.

Thanks for all the help Gareth

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.