PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Call?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Call?

My last hand of the night: I'm fairly sure the pre-flop call is too loose, but I'm always hearing how weaker than usual hands can be used to defend your blinds? When he calls the turn I've put him on a jack or queen, and I'm semi-bluffing the flush, however the King comes on the river and I feel I can represent this as I checked to the pre-flop aggressor, he missed his c-bet, and I can sell the story that I was betting my king. Does this make any sense? Is this a good or bad play?

Hi Jamei,

Not a good spot to defend your blind by calling. A8 plays pretty poorly out of position in a raised pot without the initiative. If you think he's stealing a fair bit then 3-bet resteal with the ace blocker is much better. Otherwise just fold. Not really looking to make a move on the river here either, we're getting called down pretty light I'd think, and the villain is likely to have a showdown value hand when they fail to bet the flop and call the turn. So I would just check/fold and hope he checks down and ace high is good.
    Head Live Trainer
    Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I see what you're saying, so if someone fails to c-bet this can be a pot-controlling action in position, never thought of that! So many things to learn :P

Comment

yes, heads up in position the villain would likely c-bet when checked to with his good but not monster hands (for value) or his air (as a bluff) on this board texture, so when he checks it back it's usually because he's slowplaying a monster or has a medium strength hand with showdown value and is pot controlling. there are far more medium strength hands than monsters, and his failure to raise the turn also supports the showdown value hand strength. As you get observations if you see them doing something different then note it and adjust.
        Head Live Trainer
        Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.