PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top top to a over bet shove

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top top to a over bet shove

Teco had just joined the table never come across him before what would you do here? Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Hi Grade b,
    Last edited by rule110; Fri Jul 27, 2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Oh, there
      Last edited by rule110; Fri Jul 27, 2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

very nice summery rule 110,

have to say most of that did not go though my head as i decided to play or fold.

I still don't have many hands with him as he left shortly after this hand.

i like the thought about the bluffing more at first when new to a table.

Grade b
        I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

hey B, 888 springs to mind, i would rule out the opps possibilities of a K as i have one,

I would rule out aces as no reraise

good fold i think you were dominated

Comment

hi Grade B.

Your raise and all those calls set up a very low SPR going to the flop that favors you stacking off with Top/top far more often than not on a pretty dry board.

the fact is a donk shover like this is rarely going to hold AA in a passive/cally table dynamic, and he'd be much more likely to raise that.

this is a pretty solid spot for him to check a "big hand", as you are quite likely to C bet here a lot, and his jam looks like he is trying to get a fold to take down the pot.

If the moeny were deeper, or if you had a read saying this guy is on the tighter and more passive side, a fold IS possible, but in most spots you gotta play this out after creating that big pot on this depth of moeny.

hope it helps.

-JDean
            Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

ty everyone,

I note that Jdean has now metioned SPr in two of his posts of my hands time to go back and rewatch those videos of Daves

I don't get it!!!

Its not ok to play top top if i bet light pre but if i over bet pre it is ok

arrrrr my brain hurts!!! (maybe i'll wait for sunday to look at that.)

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi Grade B...

SPR in a nut shell...

the BIGGER the pot is in relation to the chips (meaning a low SPR) you have left in the effective stack (the smallest remaining in the hand), the WEAKER the hand you really need to feel ok in stacking off with.

this is effected by:

- board texture
                (the more coordinated the board, the higher likelihood a 1 pair hand may not be good.)

- opponent tendencies
                (tight/passive opps raising on an UNCOORDINATED board may mean less likelihood they are not on a monster like a set. Loose/Aggro opps, who habitually play draws strongly, may only hold a DRAW on even highly coordinated boards)

- number of opps left to act in the hand (even those who checked for "relative position").

(the more opps left in the hand, the LOWER the SPR should be to consider stacking off with a 1 pair hand. HU an SPR under about 6 is ok to think of it with a hand liek top/top. vs 2 opps, you'd really want it more like 3 or 4 at most. Vs more opps than that, you'd want an even lower SPR to go on a 1 pair hand).

Here is a good link that might help supplement Dave's great videoes on SPR: http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/general/spr/

SPR first appeared in the Flynn, Mehta, and Miller book, "Professional No Limit Hold 'em, Vol I" and this is still a great reference for the important cash game concept of SPR.

hope it helps!

-JDean
                Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.