PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5nl 6max QJ-Should i find a fold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5nl 6max QJ-Should i find a fold?

PokerStars Zoom Hand #79619615968: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2012/04/29 6:57:42 ET
    Table 'Donati' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: ynhik ($5.70 in chips)
    Seat 2: kaaposts ($5.59 in chips)
    Seat 3: Eosteus ($4.85 in chips)
    Seat 4: saha555 ($2.63 in chips)
    Seat 5: Plen997 ($5.16 in chips)
    Seat 6: Nashy1996 ($12.63 in chips)
    kaaposts: posts small blind $0.02
    Eosteus: posts big blind $0.05
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Nashy1996 [Jc Qc]
    saha555: folds
    Plen997: calls $0.05
    Nashy1996: raises $0.15 to $0.20
    ynhik: folds
    kaaposts: folds
    Eosteus: folds
    Plen997: calls $0.15
    *** FLOP *** [Ad Ts 8h]
    Plen997: checks
    Nashy1996: checks
    *** TURN *** [Ad Ts 8h] [Js]
    Plen997: bets $0.15
    Nashy1996: calls $0.15
    *** RIVER *** [Ad Ts 8h Js] [9c]
    Plen997: bets $0.25
    Nashy1996: raises $0.50 to $0.75
    Plen997: raises $4.06 to $4.81 and is all-in
    Nashy1996: calls $4.06

Hey Everyone,

Just questioned my opponents shoving range after this hand and weather i could put my opponent on KQ and should i just flat villians lead out on the river.
    I have to say i dont really have any info on the villian but i can asume he makes some passive plays given his limp call pre.
    I decided to call on the river because i felt like alot of the time we could be splitting so i just couldnt find a fold here.
    What do u guys think?

Hi Nashy.

On the river you are risking $4.06 for the chance to win $5.83 at a price of 1.4 to 1.

This means you need to win roughly 41.67% of the time to break even.

With a 4 straight on the board, and you holding just the Q for the 2nd nut hand, you really have to ask yourself whether the opponent might bet all in on something like a set or top 2 pair here very often. I have to be honest, I really doubt that he would very often, especially since you see him as somewhat passive...

With that said, I still think your raise on the river is fine as a passive opp may well CALL that value amount on lesser hands, but I think calling the river shove set you up to lose the max a little to often to be a good idea.

By the way: even if you split, you will be paying near max rake and will lose moeny anyway. Besides, "passive" players do not bet on draws oop, and the fact he bet the turn may have been the sign you needed to think 2nd pair/gut shot draw was no good in the small pot at that point. THAT may have been the place for you to get out...

Hope it helps.

-JDean
    Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for breaking it down JDean,i know i need to improve in spots like these and not asking myself the correct questions in the moment,like is he/she really doing this with worse hands very often.
      Thanks it always helps

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.