PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

utg 4bet preflop w/ Th9h, flop cr ai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utg 4bet preflop w/ Th9h, flop cr ai

My opponent in this hand had been playing very loosely and he had been showing up at showdown w/ dubious holdings, often paying off to other players' value hands. He would call trying to hit weak draws and second pair.

I had been playing relatively tight.

Given how this hand plays out do you feel my play in this hand is profitable?

sorry again getting the same error message, looks like this:

Exception details: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2124"]

anyways here is the hand

Transcript for hand #75669490467 requested by rule110 ***deleted e-mail address JWK24***

*********** # 1 **************
    PokerStars Hand #75669490467: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10 USD) - 2012/02/15 18:12:27 PT [2012/02/15 21:12:27 ET]
    Table 'Maritima IV' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 1: rule110 ($10 in chips)
    Seat 3: Tofmof ($11.89 in chips)
    Seat 4: Marnielle ($10.43 in chips)
    Seat 5: Demon9090 ($7.58 in chips)
    Seat 6: MAXAOH ($10.30 in chips)
    Demon9090: posts small blind $0.05
    MAXAOH: posts big blind $0.10
    TE6E HE HAgO: sits out
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to rule110 [9h Th]
    rule110: raises $0.20 to $0.30
    Tofmof: calls $0.30
    Marnielle: raises $0.20 to $0.50
    Demon9090: folds
    MAXAOH: calls $0.40
    rule110: raises $1.50 to $2
    Tofmof: folds
    Marnielle: calls $1.50
    MAXAOH: folds
    *** FLOP *** [3c 9c Jd]
    rule110: checks
    Marnielle: bets $2.20
    rule110: raises $5.80 to $8 and is all-in
    Marnielle: calls $5.80
    *** TURN *** [3c 9c Jd] [2c]
    *** RIVER *** [3c 9c Jd 2c] [8h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    rule110: shows [9h Th] (a pair of Nines)
    Marnielle: shows [Qh Kd] (high card King)
    rule110 collected $19.91 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $20.85 | Rake $0.94
    Board [3c 9c Jd 2c 8h]
    Seat 1: rule110 showed [9h Th] and won ($19.91) with a pair of Nines
    Seat 3: Tofmof folded before Flop
    Seat 4: Marnielle (button) showed [Qh Kd] and lost with high card King
    Seat 5: Demon9090 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 6: MAXAOH (big blind) folded before Flop
    Last edited by JWK24; Thu Feb 16, 2012, 07:43 PM.

Hi rule,

I am not a fan of this play. Your line does look super strong and when coupled with a speculative hand should be designed to produce massive fold equity, but you've already established this guy is not a good target for plays that garner a lot of their EV from fold equity. The way to beat this guy is to make a reasonable hand first, then value bet him to death. So bloating the pot preflop with a 4b is not my preference for playing this hand.

On the flop you connected with middle pair and opted check-raise all in (for value obviously, since this guy is not much of a folder and you hit something). Again I would probably just bet knowing how light he calls and chases, rather than put the onus on him to bet for me. Based on the description of this guy you provide, I'm a bit surprised he did actually bet.

I'm not sure the check-raise all in is +EV. Even as light as we expect him to call this I'm having a hard time constructing a range that we're a favorite against. Even including gut shot straight draws, oesd, top pairs, middle pairs with better kickers, some middle pair with worse kickers, some pocket pairs lower than the 9, etc. I'm still coming up with us being an underdog to this range.

Over all I think this is just too thin with T9s from start to finish against a proverbial calling station. I like the strength line in spots where we are up against an opponent who knows where his fold button is, but against a loose stationy type guy I think we end up value owning ourselves too often for it to be profitable long term.

Dave
    Head Live Trainer
    Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

thx dave,

yeah, i got lucky in this hand

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.