PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10NL QQ vs unknown opponent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10NL QQ vs unknown opponent

Hi all Here's an interesting hand I encountered at 10NL, tough spot on the river It was the villains first hand at the table. Something didn't feel right calling the strong river bet, so I went with my instinct and folded... Spots similar to this is where I leak the most in my game, calling off river bets with decent hands even though I can easily be beat... The plug to fix the leak is getting better overall . Any opinions of what to do on the river would be greatly appreciated (or even a different way to play it until the river umbup
    Last edited by 94Tofer; Wed Feb 15, 2012, 12:53 PM.

Hi 94Tofer, Sorry for my eager first post, I misread the board. Now here's my analysis: I think you played the hand fine and arguments for both folding and calling the river can be made. Villain's strong betsizing can indicate a strong range and he can be valuebetting a lot of boats plus the nutflush. However, since the turn was checked through he could be valuebetting the , some smaller diamonds or even be turning some hands into a bluff because of boardtexture. I think the likelyhood of someone bluffing river on scary boards like a 4-flush and especially after a turn gets checked through increases in general. That being said I actually would not mind a turnbet for some value from weaker made hands and draws plus as some sort of semibluff/protective bet. Betting turn would serve two purposes here: 1. Value: OTT villain's x'ing-range will probably not contain a lot of flushes and mostly be comprised of a lot of pair+draw type hands which will often call a turnbet. 2. Semibluff: Some parts of villain's range can be some scared two pair or sets which wont raise you on such a scary turn. Against those hands you can bet as a semibluff cause a lot of rivers may improve us against that part of villain's range. Either way betting maintains initiative and would allow us to checkback river when villain x/c's turn and x's river to us. That way we make some extra $ OTT while protecting us from getting bluffed. If villain x/r turn we have a pretty easy fold cause his range will be flushes far too often. - Felix
    Last edited by PSO-xflixx; Wed Feb 15, 2012, 03:47 PM. Reason: misread the board
    Live Trainer

Comment

Villain's betting line is 100% consistent with a full house by the river. Not saying there is 100% chance that is what he holds, because there isn't, but it is very likely.

Some great insight by Felix on playing the turn!

Comment

Thanks a lot for that Felix!! Some great stuff to think about umbupinking about it now I was probably over paranoid about leaking chips on river bets when I could easily be beat... Betting the turn would definitely be the best play - if he check-raises its an easy fold, and also he will usually check the river to me so that I can check behind if needed. And also bluffs are definitely in his range on that river bet too

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.