PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Set Q in 3B pot vs Reg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set Q in 3B pot vs Reg

Hi, i think i may have butchered this hand vs a Reg that plays 23/19/1.2, 3B: 8, CB: 43

The reasons i played it like this
    - VS. a 2nl fish (im used to) it's default raising and jamming it up. However this seems more like a Reg.
    - I really hate when the FD hits on the turn. But i might be to fraightened because this is a 3b pot. He might as well have a over pair.
    - He has low aggression factor and low-ish cbet

Should i have called here ?
    On which turns i should have called if he bets ? Which one i should raise if he bets ? Same questions for when he checks.

Seat 1: villain1 ($4.83 in chips)
    Seat 2: villain2X ($2.04 in chips)
    Seat 3: villain3 ($5.18 in chips)
    Seat 4: villain4 ($5.07 in chips)
    Seat 5: Rappeknaller ($5 in chips)
    Seat 6: villain5 ($5.07 in chips)
    villain3: posts small blind $0.02
    villain4: posts big blind $0.05
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Rappeknaller
    Rappeknaller: raises $0.10 to $0.15
    villain5: folds
    villain1: folds
    villain2X: calls $0.15
    villain3: folds
    villain4: raises $0.45 to $0.60
    Rappeknaller: calls $0.45
    villain2X: folds
    *** FLOP ***
    villain4: bets $0.66
    Rappeknaller: raises $1.14 to $1.80
    villain4: folds

Rappeknaller

two ways to play it IMO, either re-raise again pre (which I'd do more against a fish than a reg) or if I did call the 3-bet pre, I'm absolutely raising the flop and the sizing looks good to me as I'd go in the $1.75-$2.00 range.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

I don't mind a 4B pre, but do think the villain should be pretty strong here considering they can close the action with a call and see the flop with a great price but have elected to reopen the betting to you anyway. Flatting isn't terrible.

Post flop, I feel like this is a clear call. We block top pair so the only hands that can really give a raise action are AA/KK/AcKc and if they have any lite 3-bets pre then Ax of clubs, but they likely don't since these hands play well for a call with a good price. Ace high bluffs, JJ/TT are all folding to a raise. I'd prefer to give them another chance to bluff on the turn. In the case of JJ/TT they might not bluff (and shouldn't have cbet this board but people who 3B do Cbet too much in general), but they will often check/call turn. And oh, it's sure nice for JJ to see the turn and hit it's 2 outter to make a lower set, which we will now stack. So I"m calling the flop. On the turn I'm betting 100% of turns when he checks to me. If he double barrels I may call or raise depending on the sizing and card that rolls off.
      Head Live Trainer
      Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League

Comment

TheLangolier : I'm curious which card would you raise his double barrel, and which one you would call ? For example, if a clubs hit. Do we call to protect our stack, or do we jam, to protect our hand ? I'm trying to learn to plan out hands like this. Me myself would raise any highway. Club i would call and go tilt if the river is a club too. Dry card i dont know what to do.

JWK24 : Why would you raise the flop ? Why not calling.

Comment

Here's my reasoning (may be due to the player pools I'm playing in).

This opp definitely knows where the 3-bet button is and they're HU, OOP and in the blind. I think their range of club hands is more than Ax, especially against our UTG raise. Since we have the big aces in our range, they should be less likely to 3-bet aces that aren't AK and if they 3-bet this much, it wouldn't shock me if they could show up with JTs or even 78s. (totally agree with Dave that these play much better as a call and that even though the opp's c-bet number is on the low side of normal, this is a 3-bet pot pre and there is only 1 broadway card on the flop, so they probably way over c-bet this particular spot).

The more I look at this though, while I would raise, I think the sizing is too big and maybe $1.45 would be better.

One number not provided that may get me to call the flop though, is how often does the opp follow through on the turn? If that number is high (so there are less c-bets with air), then I think checking probably gets us more value in the long run.

John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League

Comment

I would raise a club turn. If villain double barrels that they are often either going to have an overpair trying to "protect", or a single big club in their hand (with or without a pair) barreling the additional equity. I would also barrel a J, T as they increase the wetness of the board and the potential for action killing river cards. If a safe card turns... board pairing or a blank, I'm more inclined to just call a big turn barrel (and raise a small bet). Oh, I would also raise a turn barrel on an A or K, as villain is indicating they may well have a hand too strong to fold now like AK, which is also drawing stone dead at that point.
            Head Live Trainer
            Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.