PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bet Sizing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet Sizing

Hi All,

I tend to bet 1/2 pot against 1 villain or 2/3 if i'm against more than 1 villain?

However seems i'm leaving some value so time to look at my cash game bet sizing.

I currently use 3x (=1 per limper if raiseing)

3x if re-raising

then 1/2 on flop turn and river.

What does everyone one else use and is it working?

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

I've been using 3 or 4 plus an extra for each limper preflop. The stickier they are, the more I'm raising.

Postflop, unless the board is really dry, I've been going at least 60% (if multiway 75-80%) and can go up to pot or even slightly over pot, depending on the situation. On dry boards, I may drop it down to as low as 25-33% pot, depending on the opp's play style.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I use 1/2 pot against 1 opp, 2/3 against 2 opps, 3/4 against 3 or more, and sometimes I'll go 1/3 pot depending on the board. Pre flop I do the same as you.

Comment

beatrizdib What JWK24 is trying to teach me ( I'm a very slow pupil but he is Very Very patient, is we also need to look and the viallan and flop texture, I am working on it and think this is better.

I know i need to look on the SPR videos again as that really is something I do-not understand.

anyway I think this is better?

but what does everyone think?

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I raise POT no matter what. My opening, isolation and 3B size is POT.

Comment

Remember I don't play much NLHE, so take what i say with a pinch of salt, but I would raise the flop to about pot 30-35c, you could win the hand there with your draw, or you get loads in the pot when you hit. Even against a set of J's you have 40% equity from here so if he re-raises you are not too badly off, but you are favourite against AJ and overpairs and about even for two pairs. Then you can bet the turn and river to get it all-in

Comment

So here's the thing to me. Anyone that always plays the same way becomes predictable. That gives me confidence. If you always open with 3BB, or 2.5BB or whatever, I know that it's your standard bet and doesn't mean much. If you always add 1BB per limper, I read that book too, and used to do it. I like playing against you, especially in tournaments, (I know this is the cash game topic) because I know it is your standard bet. Betting half or 2/3 pot is also pretty standard because it is easy to do, we have buttons for that. I use a HUD and I'm recording your statistics. If I see you being predictable, I'm going to do my best to be unpredictable. Something that I really liked and I can't remember where I first read it, but it said, the way to win poker is to cause someone else to make a mistake. They are a lot less likely to do that if you are predictable, because chances are, if this is how you play, when you have rubbish or a monster, you will telegraph it.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesBro2007 View Post
                So here's the thing to me. Anyone that always plays the same way becomes predictable. That gives me confidence. If you always open with 3BB, or 2.5BB or whatever, I know that it's your standard bet and doesn't mean much. If you always add 1BB per limper, I read that book too, and used to do it. I like playing against you, especially in tournaments, (I know this is the cash game topic) because I know it is your standard bet. Betting half or 2/3 pot is also pretty standard because it is easy to do, we have buttons for that. I use a HUD and I'm recording your statistics. If I see you being predictable, I'm going to do my best to be unpredictable. Something that I really liked and I can't remember where I first read it, but it said, the way to win poker is to cause someone else to make a mistake. They are a lot less likely to do that if you are predictable, because chances are, if this is how you play, when you have rubbish or a monster, you will telegraph it.
                The thing about making a standard play 3x plus 1x per limper is I do it with AA and 65s. So which do I have?

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

You want to keep them consistent, based on the opp types and stack sizes. Players that bet more with better hands and less with more marginal ones turn their hands up to any observant player that is taking notes. That may be 3x as a baseline, or another number.. but it's based on stack size, not cards.

John (JWK24)
                  Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                  X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.