PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUD's...are they really worth the investment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUD's...are they really worth the investment?

I have been wondering about HUD's for some time, is it 1. really worth getting, 2. if so which one is the best and 3. what am i actually getting for my money?

** moved to Poker Software & Hardware **
    2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

HUDs in and of themselves are not the be all and end all of online poker. Sandtrap is proof of that as he doesnt use one and kills the games.

What is worth the money is the database you build of your own playing history, the study you can put in away from the table when not playing, learning tendencies of the player pool you are in.

I prefer HEM. Hard to say why but I used both during the trial and HEM just felt better to me.

Comment

thanks bhoy,

I agree, the software is a must have tool, to analyze your play, find your leaks and more, but to be used as a HUD, personally, I think it should be used when you have reached a certain level of play and a very good knowledge of the game.

A HUD, will more than harm you as you will be letting the HUD dictate your plays as you're not sure what to do. Also, with all the fish swimming in 2NL, a HUD is pretty useless

That's just my opinion

Comment

ok so i have just downloaded from trial of hm2...**deleted inappropriate language JWK24**!!! that looks like some complicated shizzle... any ideas as to good pages to learn where to begin learning lol
          Last edited by JWK24; Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:03 AM.

Comment

do the huds track during freerolls, or only cash games, mtt/sng?

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_My_Aces View Post
              do the huds track during freerolls, or only cash games, mtt/sng?
              It depends on the site. For PokerStars, they track both cash and play money games.

John (JWK24)
              Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

is there any good places to learn how to use hm2?

Comment

Their forums?

Best place I can think of.

Comment

I really struggled with a HUD when I first used one, it sent me on tilt and information overload kicked in. A HUD is just information, if you can't digest that information then it's of no use to you. It's also only an indicator, it's only a tool that can influence your decisions.

If you are a beginner then learn the basics before you attempt to use a HUD. If you do pay for tracking software then use it's most useful feature - analysing your own game.

A HUD never turned me into a better player (PSO and analysing my own stats done that) but a HUD has enabled me to multi table without having to watch each table to keep notes.
                    Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_My_Aces View Post
                      is there any good places to learn how to use hm2?
                      I hacven't watched this but Youtube is always good for learning material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTTLLaeOzsQ
                      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
                        thanks bhoy,

I agree, the software is a must have tool, to analyze your play, find your leaks and more, but to be used as a HUD, personally, I think it should be used when you have reached a certain level of play and a very good knowledge of the game.

A HUD, will more than harm you as you will be letting the HUD dictate your plays as you're not sure what to do. Also, with all the fish swimming in 2NL, a HUD is pretty useless

That's just my opinion
                        I wholly agree with this point and I'll add my 2c on top.

A HUD can be distracting as you might not know exactly what the informations displayed mean, so it requires that you do some detailed study into what is shown and what each percentage means by itself and combined.

A HUD can also point you in the wrong direction for sheer lack of a valuable sample, most players you'll encounter at the micros wont have any hand recorded or you might save a few hundreds, that's nothing, within the same session I see my stats ranging from 8/8 at a table to 30/25 at another one, in the long run it all average out, in a session the cards might give you a wrong idea of the player.

Mostly I use HM2 as a DB and for reviews, keep the HUD on to get used to it, but if I don't see a decent number of collected hands I simply ignore what it says.

Your own reads have priority, HUD is just a tool to complement.

Comment

I love the HUD. Playing 4 Tables 6Max Zoom. it helps big time especially in steal situations. You can quickly identify who likes to squeeze/steal too much and then you can resteal/4Bet light accordingly.

Also if you know someone is atypically aggressive or passive postflop, you can figure out how to extract value appropriately against different villain types.

I've even found it useful for tournaments - I use acoimbra's HUD. His blog seems to be down at the moment so I'll post a link when it's back working again.

Comment

Spand,
                            I also play 4 tables of Zoom and I don't use a HUD (now at 200NL)
                            If you're in a steal situation based on the numbers you have and he just happens to have hit, you're spewing money. Also there's nothing that tells you if he was in a learning process and now has gotten better, or he's fed up of you stealing and now 3Bets with air.

I've proven to someone here that I steal much less than he does and not only my profit is higher than his but also my winning percentage, which results in higher BB/100

But to each their own, all I'm saying is that beginners (up to 25NL) should first learn to play poker, be winners and then add to their tools a HUD

Comment

I entirely agree that having a HUD should come secondary to learning the necessary skills first.

You're right that having a HUD can get you in trouble on occasion, but I feel the times my plays are successful outweigh the times when they actually have it.

I think having tracking software is pretty essential to improving your play so you can review your hands even if you don't use the HUD.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.