PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Books on Poker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Books on Poker

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some good books on poker, both on the theory behind it and maybe 1 or 2 on the probabilities. I just picked up "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky. I'm looking for a couple (or much more) positions to read.

Might I add that I am a complete beginner and this is my first forum post

Thank you,
    Julius "Jayce333"

I only have 2 poker books so far - I would recommend both, not highly, but they are both fine and will not lead you astray so long as you know your level.

The first one I ever bought (from a charity shop for 2 quid) was

'Winning at Poker - essential hints and tips by Dave Scharf 2003

It is targeted at Low Limit Hold Em - but as a starting point I found it very useful for hand strengths, odds & outs etc. It is fairly simplistic and easy to read - I found it a good starting point but as I rarely play limit hold em I don't go back to it often.

More recently I got Doyle Brunsons Super System 2 - which has contributions from many good players and covers more poker formats with a lot on NLHE - however the NLHE stuff is advanced and more applicable to higher stakes than I play. The Mike Caro stuff is particularly good, perhaps because it has simple rules that are understandable, memorable and seem to work in practice.

Basically I would get hold of any books you can and then glean whatever you can from them, but also remember there is a massive library of poker training here at PSO, and Live Training and the Education Forums are great places to learn.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
    4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Welcome

Hi Jayce333. Welcome to the forum. You really are ambitious if you want a list of good books on top of all the material available right here. Have a look at how the site is organized. There is more material being added all the time from beginner level to some quite advanced concepts.

Good luck
      Doug
      3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hehe,

It's not about ambition (well, not only). I spend 2hours a day travelling by train with little or no access to the internet, so books in this case make sense to me. Also, I always preferred a good read over video

Thank you!

Comment

If it helps, i have Harrington on Holdem volume one and two, both are well written, and for me i found them very helpfull.

Comment

I have just finished reading "easy game by Andrew Seidman

I found both volumes to be good.

Grade b
            I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

**moved to better fitting forum JWK24**

Hi Julius!

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time volumes 1 and 2

John (JWK24)
              Last edited by JWK24; Tue Jul 24, 2012, 09:58 PM.
              Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                Hi Julius!

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time volumes 1 and 2

John (JWK24)
                +1

Originally posted by wiltshireman View Post
                If it helps, i have Harrington on Holdem volume one and two, both are well written, and for me i found them very helpfull.
                Harrington a must for any MTT player

Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em

This is one of my all time Favorites

Best of luck with your reading

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C
                Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I'm at present reading 2 books

1/ Kill Everyone
                  2/ Treat your poker like a business

Enjoy..........I am

Comment

If you are a sng player then a must read IMO is Collin Moshman's sit n go strategy.

Comment

Yes Honu i have that book, and would agree with you that it's a must read for single table sng players. Well written and easy to understand.

Comment

Working...
                      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.