PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submitted by: Diej2002
    This hand another favorite of mine. It is hand
    #6944585. It involves pocket kings and pocket queens
    and somebody that had no business being in the pot. I raised
    about 4x BB from UTG and got reraised by the person to my
    immediate left. Somebody calls from relatively late
    position. I call the reraise and see the flop. It involves
    an Ace. KK wins the pot. A classic example of a poor play
    from the player who called two raises cold and a poor play
    from me with my QQ. It is followed by a good laydown. Very
    interesting hand that would bust a lot of people.

Re: 6944585

A classic example of a poor play
    from the player who called two raises cold and a poor play
    from me with my QQ. It is followed by a good laydown. Very
    interesting hand that would bust a lot of people.
    Diej2002, I would be interested to know why you think you made a poor play with QQ. Besides your preflop raise being a little too high, I thought you played it well. I thought the KK and TJ made the bad plays in this hand.

Comment

I think I was being a little hard on myself. I was also referring to the preflop raise. I felt that I had dumped a little too much money into the raise. I overraised in the hopes of getting any Ace and King draws out of the pot. Is there a better play? The worst part was that I called the reraise here. I knew I was up against AA or KK and I was just hoping to flop a set.

Comment

Originally posted by diej2002
        I was also referring to the preflop raise. I felt that I had dumped a little too much money into the raise. I overraised in the hopes of getting any Ace and King draws out of the pot. Is there a better play?
        I think you did overbet the pot, but not by too much. Raising either the pot size or about 3X BB would have been better and usually correct size bet preflop, (i.e. a raise of 150 making it 200 to go). If there was an ante in addition to the blinds, then the pot size is usually best. In deciding whether to call preflop, implied odds are a key factor. With stacks of 200X BB a raise of 200 to 250 will not force out any hands that would have called the more normal and smaller preflop raise.

The worst part was that I called the reraise here. I knew I was up against AA or KK and I was just hoping to flop a set.
        You should not think that this was a mistake, it was correct for you to call the re-raise in order to flop a set.

In the exact situation you were in, you had ideal conditions to call a raise with a pair that you knew needed improvement on the flop. You seriously could not have asked for better conditions.

There are 2 parts to why:

1. The depth of money. It was less than 10% of your stack to call the re-raise. You are getting the right price to call

2. You had the best position possible on the flop. Much better than the player on the button. This increases your implied odds in the situation, (this player was also very loose, increasing implied odds further).

I think with the depth of money as it was, you could have called this headsup also, even though your position would then be not so good. Headsup, betting into the raiser on the flop rather than checking to the raiser 3 handed.

It would have been a mistake to call if you, or the raiser, only had a 5k stack. It would have probably been a mistake to call, even with 10k stacks, if you were on the button facing a 925 call after UTG and UTG+1 had raised and re-raised, mainly because of the price and your position.

If you want me to go deeper into the explanation, just ask.

Comment

QQ UTG Bet

Excuse me while I learn,but with a 4xbb raise that is re-raised, how do you know that it is a AA or KK and not AK that you are favored to beat. I would have made a larger bet, 10xbb, that way I know any re-raise is serious and not some beginner like me with JT.

I do agree with the lay down but not becauseof the re-raise. The flop was very scary. I could no longer bet AK.

Comment

Thanks Minpin....Great analysis and this now being far removed from that hand (time wise), I see that you were correct on all points.

Bo,

It really depends on the player. There are some players that I am fairly good at playing cat and mouse against and that I have a good idea of what they have. Against this player in this situation, I absolutely knew that I was beat. Obviously, this is much more difficult against better players. A good player might just smooth call and make you bet the flop only to come over the top. At the same time, a good player may well reraise another 4xBB or reraise all-in and try to make it look like they are trying to buy the pot by saying I have AA and hope that you do not believe them and subsequently give them a call.

I was trapped in a similar fashion earlier tonight when my QQ was up against AA. I raised, AA called, and I bet the pot (no overcards). He reraises all in. I called without hesitation because it was only 3K and would leave me with 6700 left. Of course, I lost.

Comment

Working...
            X